Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Place over near Climax in Lake County CO that has always caught my interest. At one time there were several buildings in here and it appears they were picked up and move. It appears to have been different family homes. I noticed that someone had come in and dug up the trash dumps and I always wondered what they were lookin for or found. I went over and camped and investigated as much as I felt I could without gettin throwed in jail by the Forest Disservice. Lookin at surface finds, I couldn't find anything that I would date before the mid 1950's/early 60's. Wire nails, screw top bottles, plastic buttons. Coins are always helpful indicators, but nothin dated before the mid-50's. I keep lookin at their dig sites and it dawned on me, there were no glass bottles present. In this time period we could expect to see those brown Clorox bleach bottles, cough syrup bottles, baby food jars, vicks vap-o-rub jars, maybe some pop or beer bottles, but nary a one. Bottle hunting is a thing with some folks around Leadville, and they find some very old and valuable ones, and those guys know what to look for. (You can get into a lot of trouble if you do it in the wrong place though) So I guess some misguided souls thought they found the motherlode, or else we're in store for another reality TV treasure hunting show!

Attachments

• 8-17aa.jpg
    8-17aa.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 76
  • 8-17cc.jpg
    8-17cc.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 59
  • 8-17dd.jpg
    8-17dd.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 71
  • 8-17f.jpg
    8-17f.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 60
  • 8-17bb.jpg
    8-17bb.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 68

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thought I was going to see "Bigfoot" or "Aliens" with your title. lol Good story & pictures.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
May be the old Climax company town. Many of the houses were up and moved to Leadville. I'm thinking that was done maybe in the early 1970's ?? A few of the bud's I worked with grew up in that town. They told me how they all up and moved their homes to Leadville. The first place I lived in Leadville was some apartments they moved from Climax. How odd I never thought of that as a place to hunt for treasure. Just like a miner to be done with that heap a junk car. Probably got him a new one down at Bart's Ford in Leadville after he and his buddy's had some beers and shot the hell out of that good for nothing pile of rust. I was working at the mine in the early 80's and folks just up and left cars, dogs, cats and everything that wouldn't fit in the pickup after the unemployment checks all run out. I got me a job at Overhead door in Frisco back then and stuck it out for a couple years, until it became clear the Climax mine wasn't going to reopen anytime soon.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread