Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I went down NE of Buena Vista to camp yesterday. Little more snow on the ground than I expected. But a fine calm day with lots of sunshine. The first pic is of my campsite, which I chose because it's open and allows sun in, and there's a spot with no snow on it under the piñons for my bedroll. Those high clouds in the pic mean a weather change, which I paid no attention to. Long about suppertime the wind came up. And it came up some more. From all directions. It was only about 35 to begin with so that didn't help. Early to bed and not so bad all covered up, and then got up before daylight at a dead calm 4 above. The smart move in this case would been to have camped amongst those rocks. The wind would have been blocked and the rocks retain a little heat from the daytime sun. Still a fine day to be out in the woods in the mountains.

Attachments

• 1-11a.jpg
    1-11a.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 73
  • 1-11b.jpg
    1-11b.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 64
  • 1-11c.jpg
    1-11c.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 63
  • 1-11d.jpg
    1-11d.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 69
  • 1-11e.jpg
    1-11e.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 66

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heh... tis pretty friggin cool.
As well as pretty friggin cold.
RGINN... you are one bad arse dude to sleep in that.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am SO jealous!!! :notworthy: oh, and really nice photos!! :occasion14:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have froze to death before even reaching "camp"... let alone fall asleep and wake up an ice cube.

I am a Florida boy... blood thinner than water.
Wind blows wrong I have goose bumps.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use to go to Colorado ghost camps with my dad when I was young...
Loved it...
And hated the cold the whole damn time.
It would take me a week to "thaw out" once I got back home.

OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not that bad, AARC. That snow reflects the sun and it can feel a lot warmer than it actually is, especially if you're out walkin around and lookin things over. Wind gets up and cancels that though. Sleeping is not a problem. In my experience you don't get cold from the air temperature but from contact with the ground. So make sure you have good insulation between you and the ground. One advantage us mountain men have over you flatlanders is that after livin at high altitude for a few years our body develops more blood vessels to better circulate the less oxygen up here so we might feel a little warmer in the cold. And probably the reason I feel miserable when I visit Oklahoma and it's 85 degrees.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in Salida now and the wind between Jefferson and Kenosha was an absolutely hellish whiteout. A few vehicle's got blow of the road and a lady in a Lincoln Navigator wasn't watching her speed in a extremely slick whiteout and I watched her trying to slow down behind me, but she couldn't stop and I couldn't speed up enough to get out of her sliding, so bang! she hit me. It was a nice easy hit and no damage, but I was flaming pissed and she left me with a FU after I ripped into her. The way she drove away I'm surprised I didn't find her in the ditch down the road. I'll be shocked if they don't close the road at Fairplay tonight if that blast of wind doesn't die down.

Last edited:

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At the Climax mine during a physical the nurse at the infirmary was giving me that lung capacity exam where you keep blowing to hold a ball up in a plexiglass tube. That test is a "bear"... My capacity was a-ok, but she said some of the smokers who grew up in Leadville had better lung capacity then a cross country runner from the lower elevation areas. After working at 11'000 feet for six plus years it did wonders on my lungs. I go to Iowa and have all kinds of energy. I may be going out that way more this year to prospect business in the underground limestone mines. Metals mining is really sucking wind here in the last year. The Henderson molybdenum mine has decided to phase out in 3 years instead of the planed 10 years. That's going to put a pinch on Clear Creek County. Good news is the Climax mine will ramp up even more and even go back underground again. That is if the Moly price doesn't stay were its at for the next decade.

OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On the bright side, at least you didn't wake up trying to figure out why the roof of the tent is touching your nose!

Don't ask.....................
Oh that happened a couple of times. I rarely put up a tent if it's just me, but one time I did out on Montezuma road. I woke up with the tent in my face and thought a tree fell on me, but it was just 4 inches of new snow. Last year when we were in Wyoming the wind blew hard all night and kept the tent flat. I slept just fine but Maria stayed awake all night cause she thought we were gonna suffocate, haha!

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Makes me think back to the days when I'd joined the Boy Scouts when young growing up. They always had their deep freeze camp outs in January. Funny, those are about the only local camps I can remember.

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am all about camping, but these days it is in my pop up with the ac on in the summer or heat on in the winter.......but that does look like lots of fun.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread