tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took my dogs out today and some times I see these small birds on this same fence many times and not all over field. I have see them in the high plains sage country of the west like Wyoming from time to time also. They kind of look like a Meadow Lark, but smaller and just a little bigger then a common sparrow. Today I got a picture of it before it flew away, as they don't like company lingering around, especially dogs.

Attachments

• odd bird.jpg
    odd bird.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 95

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't know what it is but you took a nice pic of it. I like the contrast between the sky and everything else.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't know what it is but you took a nice pic of it. I like the contrast between the sky and everything else.
Thanks! OD/PA. In the background what looks like clouds out of focus are really the snow covered Rockies. They got dumped on last week as we did down below. Pretty nice day out today, but very muddy out on the trails. I understand an other snowstorm may be again coming this next Thursday. After that a lot of the low ground turns into wetlands and then you'll start seeing many different kinds of birds coming around. In the permanent wetland areas these Red-wing black birds move in amongst the Cattails and sing all day and they've already started doing that. Sometime after they build they're nest and hatch they're eggs, some of those Red-wing black birds will bombard your head when you get to close to the cattails were they nest.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like a Finch.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looks like a Brewer's Sparrow. Nice pic, Tam.
Jim

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It kind of looks like a female Horned Lark (Eremophila alpestris)

defaultGen.aspx.jpg

Male Horned Lark

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that is the bird OD/MT... I failed to mention I have seen them with those tuft feathers up their head like that before.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions