Landscape with elk

ronwoodcraft

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2007
Idaho
Went for a drive near where I live yesterday evening and spotted this elk herd. I was trying to take landscapes so took one picture to get the wild plums that are in bloom, and the elk in the background......Changed lenses to try for the elk. They were so far away, and the sun was on the wrong side, but tried from a couple different places along the road anyway.

Attachments

• BR#one.JPG
    BR#one.JPG
    260.2 KB · Views: 49
  • BR#THREE.JPG
    BR#THREE.JPG
    273.3 KB · Views: 71
  • BR#two.JPG
    BR#two.JPG
    260.2 KB · Views: 50

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Beautiful area. I've heard Elk many times in our area, but only saw two young bulls in the yard one Spring morning very early. Mostly White Tail around here - ....and skunks and mosquitoes!! :laughing7:

OP
OP
ronwoodcraft

ronwoodcraft

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2007
Idaho
Beautiful area. I've heard Elk many times in our area, but only saw two young bulls in the yard one Spring morning very early. Mostly White Tail around here - ....and skunks and mosquitoes!! :laughing7:
Lots of White tails here too, and speaking of skunks, I've woke up twice in the last month with my nose burning. There's been one under my house. No idea why he sprays under there.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Lots of White tails here too, and speaking of skunks, I've woke up twice in the last month with my nose burning. There's been one under my house. No idea why he sprays under there.
Ron,

Do people look at you funny when they walk by you?:laughing7: That's like cow farmers,they smell like their herds.:laughing7:

GOD Bless

Chris

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Might be just marking territory. Also, if they're not overly familiar with a place or if they're feeling nervous, they might spray a small sample as a warning. If the smell dissipates after a few hours or overnight, it was a sample. Usually, very old skunks don't worry much about keeping their tail raised. They grew old because other animals had sense enough to stay away. Young ones, however, go prancing around with their tails up all the time. Got a young pup (or kit...whatever) that I saw out the window last night. Gotta get rid of it!!

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Very cool ! If you want to see them a bit closer come over this way to Cataloochee in the Smoky Mountain National Park..

Attachments

• Cataloochee elk.jpg
    Cataloochee elk.jpg
    423.1 KB · Views: 45

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Ron,

Do people look at you funny when they walk by you?:laughing7: That's like cow farmers,they smell like their herds.:laughing7:

There have been times when I wondered if it might not be the other way around! :laughing7:

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is that a normal sized herd? Looks like a lot to me. Nice pics as always.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
catch me a baby skunk, I hear they make good pets

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Uh, I'll have the Hi-Def camera....while in the house!! ...I'll even give you directions from the window! :director:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Hmm...what was the original post about now?!?!? :dontknow:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016