Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went down here checkin out some camp sites off the beaten path for later. Fine day, 55 degrees, but the wind was a little chilly comin off the Crestones. Sleeted on us comin back over Poncha Pass, and light snow at Leadville, but otherwise not much precip. (So far) I always check out Round Hill, but I'm pretty much sure no treasure was ever there, or maybe it's already been found. Lots of people went to a lot of work digging for it though.

Attachments

• 4-12a.jpg
    4-12a.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 73
  • 4-12b.jpg
    4-12b.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 72
  • 4-12c.jpg
    4-12c.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 66
  • 4-12d.jpg
    4-12d.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 68
  • 4-12e.jpg
    4-12e.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 75

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You have very beautiful landscapes there, but the sky ( and clouds especially ) always just jumps out of the pictures. Very nice pics RGINN.

OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
San Luis Valley is always the greatest in Colorado for cloud formations, OD. Not today, but many times you have those lenticular cloud formations down there.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your in a great stone artifact picking area there.

OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Poncha Pass was a travel corridor for people since probably Paleo times. (I remember that point you found there, so everytime I'm there I stop and walk around. No luck, but I did find a quarter yesterday.) The last 4 pics, where I intend to camp in the near future, are of an area where I've heard bits and pieces of info indicating there might be a paleo site. Nothin definite, but I would like to spend a few hours on the ground there. If anything it will probably turn out to be an historic Ute hunting camp. Evidence of some mining activity. The fourth pic has an old prospect hole in the foreground. Or maybe a pit dug out by past treasure hunters.

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really need to go back and spend some time. Normally I just visit D mountain in Del Norte as I pass through every couple of years.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There was a fella who worked at the BV correctional prison who had a load of stuff he'd say he found in the poncha pass area and San Luis valley. He said only he was allowed to hunt a ranch owned by an old woman. He said the ranch had a big campsite and he had quite the collection. He even had pieces of abalone shell made beads. He no doubt was always giving half truth in order to conceal his hunting areas. There's still plenty stuff around I believe. Hopefully you'll have a good camp trip over there when you go. I'd like to see you make it over a little further to the Cochetpa pass area over by Saguache. That was the route the ancient used to access the Gunnison valley and beyond to the Grand valley.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread