Walking the dogs this beautiful morning.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a few from taking the dogs on their morning walk. I saw little bunny along the way and that little guy is in a very dangerous part of the field as it's under a big tree where the hawks or owl, could sit and wait for him to get just far enough away from an old prairie hole his mama must have chose as a den. There was another little bunny with it that went down the hole just before I took this picture. Along the way I could hear this little bird just singing away in the field and spotted it on these stalk like plants and I don't know what kind of plant those are, but if anyone does know please tell me?. I once used one of those plant stalks to clean out the barrel of a 12 gauge shotgun, as I slipped on some mud walking down a hill and stabbed the muzzle of the gun right in the dirt and mud. That stalk of that plant, cleaned out barrel pretty good and I test fired it afterwards and it didn't blow up the barrel or nothing like as my hunting buddy said it would do. I think the little bird is a female horned lark? It was sure singing like it was as, happy as a lark, on top of that plant.

Attachments

• walk 060416 1.jpg
    walk 060416 1.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 73
  • walk 060416 2a.jpg
    walk 060416 2a.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 79
  • walk 060416 3.jpg
    walk 060416 3.jpg
    887.1 KB · Views: 90

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm not sure of the plant type, but looks like a plant that was recently told to me as being something called Indian Toilet Paper, Verbascum thapsus. Another name I've found is Mullein. Not sure if the two are the same plant.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I see it! Right in the middle. The best pics come from walking the dogs sometimes!:icon_thumright:

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure of the plant type, but looks like a plant that was recently told to me as being something called Indian Toilet Paper, Verbascum thapsus. Another name I've found is Mullein. Not sure if the two are the same plant.
Now that you said that I believe I was told long ago it was a plant the Indians would use the clean their ass. It worked super at clearing out a shotgun barrel packed full of mud that day me and my buddy were out pheasant hunting in Iowa. I remember I slipped as the day warmed up the frozen ground and made a slip'n slid on the surface of the ground as we were walking across a deep slough to another cornfield. I wanted to get my limit that day, so I had to do something to get that gun back to shooting condition.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see it! Right in the middle. The best pics come from walking the dogs sometimes!:icon_thumright:
YOU WIN! .. After I did that I kind of thought most folks would just look in the middle of the picture. Next time I'll move it off center. :)

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Indian toilet paper huh? And I complain when I'm short on cash and have to buy "store brand". Poor Indians and poor little bunny if the hawks see him...

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
From what I hear, it really isn't that bad. In fact, some say it feels better than modern TP. Problem is with supply - it takes time to get to that point, and only during a certain portion of the year.

In ANY case, would certainly be better than corn cobs or a handful of leaves!!

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice pictures! I believe your plant in question is Goldenrod, and it is highly unlikely that it would have been used for wiping your rear end.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't look like any Goldenrod I've ever seen.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is what I call it. It is called Common Mullein or ''verbascum thapsus''.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ronwoodcraft

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2007
Idaho
Mullein weed is sure what it appears to be. Reading on it you can see it has taken on a verity of names for sure. I see it even has a commercial value https://www.google.com/search?q=mul...hUKEwiF_NmF8JDNAhUM1oMKHVTSCe4Q_AUIBygB&dpr=1 Overall I think I'll stick to corncobs for the other use. Maybe I should start bagging this stuff up and selling it online?
Wow, if there is enough people out there to buy it you could do quite well selling it on line.......When I was a kid someone told me it was indian tobacco.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, if there is enough people out there to buy it you could do quite well selling it on line.......When I was a kid someone told me it was indian tobacco.
I heard that also about the fuzzy leaves as a kid. Now that I think about it there were a few things pointed out as an Indian this and a Indian that in the wilds when I was a kid.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
One of the links I posted talks about how Mullein has been used as an additive in many modern tobacco mixes. From the sound of things, makes a person wonder why they just didn't use this in place of tobacco. ...Kind of a cross between tobacco and pot.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread