Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was told the reason I have been seeing the fox during daytime is that it probably has pups and the adults are out looking for food for them. Sure would like to find the den.
K1600_IMG_9165.JPG
The Pileated Woodpecker pic was taken yesterday afternoon at the canal park. I could hear one calling when Miss Daisy and I were walking along the path. Luckily it just kept calling so I was able to spot it eventually. I don't know if it was a young one still afraid to leave the nest or an adult calling to it's mate, but it went on for a long time. Finally I heard one reply very close, but in the dense woods. I decided to leave it alone for the time being but will return later.
K1600_IMG_9070-01.JPG
The following pics were taken at the Wetlands this morning. I just got there and started along the path when I heard a vehicle approaching. The workers came through in their covered atv so I knew I wouldn't see much. They made their way along the whole pathway and didn't stop once, but scared everything before I could get there:BangHead:. I did see the Green Heron, a Great Blue Heron and a wood duck fly away overhead away from the noise but didn't get pics.
K1600_IMG_9168.JPG K1600_IMG_9173.JPG K1600_IMG_9180.JPG K1600_IMG_9192.JPG K1600_IMG_9211.JPG

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
One day I hope to get a beaver shot down at the Meadows and those wood hens make one heck of a racket you will never forget.

GOD Bless

Chris

OP
OP
Old Dude

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One day I hope to get a beaver shot down at the Meadows and those wood hens make one heck of a racket you will never forget.

GOD Bless

Chris

We have a dammed up pond just up the road from me the fire dept can use if they need the water. A few years ago there was a beaver located in it. I didn't even see it a year until it disappeared. My neighbor said " they " trapped it and relocated it, maybe to the river. I enjoyed watching it there. I have seen a couple out in the river but they are hard to find. They make their dens in the banks of the river or the old canal instead of building the lodges everyone associates with them so they are not easily spotted. I think the young fellow sitting on the bench last week that told me he had just seen a beaver may have been mistaken and seen a muskrat ( like my pics ) since they do come out during the day instead of night like beavers.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
We have a dammed up pond just up the road from me the fire dept can use if they need the water. A few years ago there was a beaver located in it. I didn't even see it a year until it disappeared. My neighbor said " they " trapped it and relocated it, maybe to the river. I enjoyed watching it there. I have seen a couple out in the river but they are hard to find. They make their dens in the banks of the river or the old canal instead of building the lodges everyone associates with them so they are not easily spotted. I think the young fellow sitting on the bench last week that told me he had just seen a beaver may have been mistaken and seen a muskrat ( like my pics ) since they do come out during the day instead of night like beavers.

By gosh your right that is a muskrat,and here I thought it was a beaver..must be the heat from mowing 10 to 1 today.:tongue3:

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was a kid I would walk for miles along the railroad tracks and I wanted to be a hobo when I grew up, so I could go farther down those tracks. My mom's brother and my uncle Ed was a teenager after the crash of 1929 and with no outlook on life for a young fella at that time he did what many other inspired young men did and hit the road. His stories of that life fascinated me and when I'd tell my mother about the story's uncle Ed would tell me. My mother would say don't you go buying in to your uncles stories as his life wasn't as glorious as he makes them sound. Still they were very wonderful stories to me that I'll reflex on sometimes.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Well done OD. I really like the woodpecker, sticking his head out of the hole.

Best of luck to you sir!

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Those wood hens(that's what them Tennessee Mountain boys called em)were around all the time,I don't recall a day I didn't hear one,as I said..a sound you wont forget.

Out my back door..

011.JPG

Tree was 400 feet from back door,it was a black ant nest,I believe they used the acid they spray to get rid of parasites.

009.JPG

GOD Bless

Chris

OP
OP
Old Dude

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wondered what you were calling wood hen:laughing7:. You are right about the distinctive call. Once you learn it, you instantly recognize them. I am going to keep my eye on that tree. We walk under it often but this was the first time I heard the bird in it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread