Oregon desert

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Friend and I took a couple of days and drove over to the desert just for the fun of camping out there. I was very disappointed. It's not the desert I remember, nor the one I worked in 50 years ago. The BLM has succeeded in removing, at least where we were, the cattle off the desert. So the dry grass was in places waist high, making it impossible to swing a metal detector, look for rocks, or build a camp fire where my plans were to camp and play. It was educational as well as fun, and just the chance of being able to get away and be out there where there is nothing but the breeze and empty country. The educational part was, we didn't see any other living thing. Not just no cows, there were no wild horses, no antelope, no deer, unbelievably no magpies -- none, not one. When I was out there horse back 50 years ago, there were hundreds of magpies and crows/ravens, coyotes, rabbits, hawks, the works. Grazing animals are part of the eco system, before cows there were elk and buffalo. This trip we saw one hawk and five rabbits in two days, and perhaps 6 or 8 Ravens, and folks, I lay the blame on two things, BLM and west Nile virus. I'll get off my soap box, because I could go on rant that most of you folks wouldn't be interested in anyhow. I've got pictures, but not of animals, because there wasn't any.
Adel5.jpg
This is Adel, located in the Warner Valley, which is beautiful agriculture country. This is no longer a store, it's now a restaurant, and is the last gas for awhile.
Adel4.jpg
Next pictures are the interior of the "store." Gas was $3 per gallon, which I didn't think was to bad, considering the location. The town of Plush is 18 miles north, and they have a small store and gas also. But we were heading east. When Carter was president, there was no gas in Adel, so the sign was at the Lake View turn off when you start over the Warner mountains. Back then it said, "next gas 260 miles." Gotta love it. Folks that live out there consider 100 miles local, and think nothing of going that far to watch a movie or buy a beer.
Adel2.jpg
Adel1.jpg
Check out this cash register.
Adel3.jpg
Our camp was going to be in the Guano Valley, right by the Nevada border.
Indian fight11.jpg
Our camp was located at the mouth of this canyon. We are in Oregon, the canyon is in Nevada. In fact the name is called "State Line Canyon."
Looking west from out camp, out across Guano Valley.
Indian fight13.jpg
There was some evidence of pre-historic Indian occupation out on the flat on the way up to the place we wanted to go, but just obsidian chips, no other artifacts.
Indian fight3.jpg
Because I didn't figure on there being tall grass, I wore my diabetic shoes provided by the VA. Mistake. The next morning we moved to a well watered camp site I knew about on Wagontire mountain. More on that in a different post.
Indian fight2.jpg

OP
OP
BosnMate

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Forgot to show the road into where we spent the night. The fence to the right is the border with Nevada.
Indian fight road1.jpg
The closer we got to where we were going, the worse the road got. Note the rocks in the grass.
Indian fight road.jpg
The Nevada border is about three feet to the right of the picture.
Indian fight4.jpg

Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Cash register is awesome, but the winning pic is the cougar taking the buck! :thumbsup:

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, sorry about the changes, but 50 years ago I could party all night, get an hours sleep and then work all day before partying the next night. Drove a hot car and a motorcycle. Loved every latina of any age that went by, had two girlfriends in Ciodad Acuna(across from Del Rio), had hair, a flat waist and really blue eyes. Now I am retired, need 8 hours sleep plus a nap, too old for women, have no hair, eyes are greenish blue with red, have a 20 year old truck with 260,000 miles. waist is 42-44, can't drink, can't smoke cigars and have gone from 5'10" to 5'6" with shrinkage in other body parts. CHANGE HAPPENS, everywhere...Sorry

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
@austin - You hit the nail on the head. And you know what? ....IT HURTS!! :BangHead:

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use to go to Denio Nevada, I can't find some of the pictures I took of the area, but it looked a lot like these you have here. I once drove a NW route out of Winnemucca all the way to Willsonville, OR. Pretty desolate country. Once I had Bella with me on the road and she ran through some grass like that in Utah. Nasty stuff it is.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I appreciate the pics! Always wanted to spend some time in that country, but it never got done. Nice to see what it looks like.
Jim

OP
OP
BosnMate

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, sorry about the changes, but 50 years ago I could party all night, get an hours sleep and then work all day before partying the next night. Drove a hot car and a motorcycle. Loved every latina of any age that went by, had two girlfriends in Ciodad Acuna(across from Del Rio), had hair, a flat waist and really blue eyes. Now I am retired, need 8 hours sleep plus a nap, too old for women, have no hair, eyes are greenish blue with red, have a 20 year old truck with 260,000 miles. waist is 42-44, can't drink, can't smoke cigars and have gone from 5'10" to 5'6" with shrinkage in other body parts. CHANGE HAPPENS, everywhere...Sorry

I didn't know you were in Oregon, seems like you been following me around. Yeah, I can't get around, even took a walker with me on this trip, but I wasn't able to use it between the grass and the rocks. It would have given me something to sit on when my legs give out. Good idea but didn't work out. Anyhow, the change I'm sniveling about is what the BLM is doing to the country over there, and in my humble opinion it's pure stupidity. But there are those people that do like it, so I hope they enjoy it, they sure ruined it for me, and what bothers me the most is the lack of animals. I'm laying that blame for that on the BLM also. Something is wrong when the magpies have gone from thousands to zero, and in two days you see 5 rabbits, and one hawk.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BosnMate

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I use to go to Denio Nevada, I can't find some of the pictures I took of the area, but it looked a lot like these you have here. I once drove a NW route out of Winnemucca all the way to Willsonville, OR. Pretty desolate country. Once I had Bella with me on the road and she ran through some grass like that in Utah. Nasty stuff it is.

When we left Adel, Denio, Nevada would have been our next gas going east. I don't know if the school is still there, but out in that country you were driving through, they had the last boarding high school left in the United States. A friend had a job breaking horses on a cow outfit out of Ely, Nevada. They had to drive the kids 50 miles to the bus stop, and then the kids were on the school bus for another 100 miles. They had a pre school little girl. The only thing she had to play with was the dogs. One day a car drove into the yard, and the little girl was out with the dogs barking at the car. His wife told him they were moving to town, pack you stuff, we are going NOW.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have to agree with KCM...I like that cougar/buck best of all. Thanks for showing your neck of the woods. We can all travel and only costs us price of internet:tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions