tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last night the weather here called for the first official frost and they got it right. I wonder if RGINN will be posting a shot of what's going on in his neck of the woods.? They've been closing the road up there for snow.

Attachments

• frost 100716.jpg
    frost 100716.jpg
    943.2 KB · Views: 50

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
That's nasty. We had a couple of mild frosts so far, but lucked out as there were "supposed" to be more! But, it's right around the corner.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am on the fence for wanting frost right now. We are taking a foliage train trip and a frost would help that along, but I also have some mustard, turnips and radishes coming along that I hope to harvest. They will be fine if it isn't a really hard, killing frost. If I can get to them and spray them with water, they shouldn't be bitten too bad anyway since they are a cool weather crop.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hell, I had ice in my cons bucket while camping at balltown a month ago!

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I am on the fence for wanting frost right now. We are taking a foliage train trip and a frost would help that along, but I also have some mustard, turnips and radishes coming along that I hope to harvest. They will be fine if it isn't a really hard, killing frost. If I can get to them and spray them with water, they shouldn't be bitten too bad anyway since they are a cool weather crop.
How large is your garden? You could add a LOT of protection by making a small hoop-house over the greens. This would keep the frost off while holding in heat from the soil. OD, do you let your radishes grow as long as possible, or harvest while they're still smaller? We used to grow whites and reds. The whites would get huge. Was the first (and last) year we grew them. They didn't taste as good when larger.

Hell, I had ice in my cons bucket while camping at balltown a month ago!
Now THAT sucks!! Where are you that you got those temps so early?

Trapper340

Aug 21, 2016
Lebanon missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Our coldest night so far should be tonight down into the 40's but back up into the 70 range

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Think it was in August this year RGINN posted a morning freeze up in Summit county?. Ball Town, there once was a place called the Ball Town Lounge up there. Rough place it was. Some tourist fella from Wisconsin, I think? was get'n uppity in there and was going to kick some local butt, but ended up instead with a slug right in the center of his beating heart. I heard he was out before he hit the floor. I only recall having a few drinks in that place myself and it was definitely the kind a place someone would have a notion to rearrange my good looks back in the day, so pretty much avoided that place. I put my Hibiscus plant in the house for the year last night so it won't freeze.

Attachments

• frost 100716 2.jpg
    frost 100716 2.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 42

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Think it was in August this year RGINN posted a morning freeze up in Summit county?. Ball Town, there once was a place called the Ball Town Lounge up there. Rough place it was. Some tourist fella from Wisconsin, I think? was get'n uppity in there and was going to kick some local butt, but ended up instead with a slug right in the center of his beating heart. I heard he was out before he hit the floor. I only recall having a few drinks in that place myself and it was definitely the kind a place someone would have a notion to rearrange my good looks back in the day, so pretty much avoided that place. I put my Hibiscus plant in the house for the year last night so it won't freeze.

Lol, that building is still there, but I've never seen any cars around it. Maybe I'm just not going past late enough.

Nice looking hibiscus.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol, that building is still there, but I've never seen any cars around it. Maybe I'm just not going past late enough.

Nice looking hibiscus.
I'm sure the Ball town lounge has been closed for years now. Hard to believe that in February 2017 it will be 40 years from the time I first pulled in to Leadville in a blue1973 Pontiac Lemans sport coupe and the beginning of a long career in mining industry. I was good, well behaved young man that day, but Leadville would change all that as it had to many.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure the Ball town lounge has been closed for years now. Hard to believe that in February 2017 it will be 40 years from the time I first pulled in to Leadville in a blue1973 Pontiac Lemans sport coupe and the beginning of a long career in mining industry. I was good, well behaved young man that day, but Leadville would change all that as it had to many.

did you work at the climax?

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
did you work at the climax?
I did. This picture was taken in 1978 in a building down by the big head frame, that's no longer there. 2nd left 1st row, be me at 22 years blow'n all my pay on wild living.

Attachments

• IMG_20161007_185852.jpg
    IMG_20161007_185852.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 50

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yeah buddy I already had to scrape that ice off the windshield a couple of times but we haven't really had what you would call a 'killing frost' so far. We got about four inches of snow the other night. I-70 got closed that one day but it was more for drivers with 'HUA'. Figure it out, y'all. I know where Balltown is, too. Go west of there then head off north to Mt. Elbert Forebay lake, and I camp there a lot. Great place to fish. Some days there's fish there, some day they ain't.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread