Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks folks, I don't know what it's called Bean,
these are outside the realm of my knowledge, ::),

Fossis...............

bean man

Sep 2, 2006
Central Iowa
I'm not sure either. I use to only eat morals, but am wanting to try others. I have been eating giant puffs and am wanting to try hen of the woods and elephant ears. Think I'll wait until I know for sure what they look like.

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bean man said:
I'm not sure either. I use to only eat morals, but am wanting to try others. I have been eating giant puffs and am wanting to try hen of the woods and elephant ears. Think I'll wait until I know for sure what they look like.
We had a guy move in here from another state,
who had to go to the emergency room after eating
some of what he thought were okay, I just eat out
of the can, because I know nothing about any of
them. ??? ???

Fossis.............

wesfrye53

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
Springfield, TN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202
Fossis....that is some fungi. I wonder if there is a way to preserve something like that? (And I'm not talking about "canning" it!)....LOL

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wesfrye53 said:
Fossis....that is some fungi. I wonder if there is a way to preserve something like that? (And I'm not talking about "canning" it!)....LOL

I have dried some Wes, & put
shelac on them, but this one is
allready losing it's color.

Fossis.............

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
This is a chicken mushroom, has the same texture as chicken breast if you pull it apart, VERY good eating mushroom and there are no poisonous look alikes. These are easy to spot and identify by the bright orange tops, yellow undersides, lack of gills (they have pores underneath instead). These can be used as a substitute in chicken based recipes. Best when young but they do keep fairly long, they don't get buggy fast either. If you pick and eat them you gotta be careful not to bruise them too much because the bruises, if not cut off from the rest will give a bitter flavor. Bean man, the hen of the woods you mention is a different mushroom but similar in shape and also very good to eat.

ronwoodcraft

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2007
Idaho
Cannonman17 said:
This is a chicken mushroom, has the same texture as chicken breast if you pull it apart, VERY good eating mushroom and there are no poisonous look alikes. These are easy to spot and identify by the bright orange tops, yellow undersides, lack of gills (they have pores underneath instead). These can be used as a substitute in chicken based recipes. Best when young but they do keep fairly long, they don't get buggy fast either. If you pick and eat them you gotta be careful not to bruise them too much because the bruises, if not cut off from the rest will give a bitter flavor. Bean man, the hen of the woods you mention is a different mushroom but similar in shape and also very good to eat.

Thanks for that info Cannon, I used to pick chanterell mushrooms to sell about 15 years ago. At that time I studied up on mushrooms but forgot alot about them. I thought these were some good ones, and had something to do with chicken, but I didn't want to give advice from my unclear memory and poison someone.

shroomer

Apr 9, 2007
that is a Laetiporus sulphureus: The Chicken of the Woods & quite tasty if cooked properly they taste just like chicken

dowser

Jul 13, 2005
Michigan
Detector(s) used
MINELAB 2100, L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like Sulfer Shelf to me, I've only seen them on dead Oaks.

Timberwolf

Silver Member
Sep 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Eagle II SL90/Eagle Spectrum/TF-900
Fossis,

That's a pretty one ;D I like fried mushrooms, but they don't look anything like that ::)

Tom

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cannonman17 said:

Thanks for the info, all this is good to know.

Fossis..............

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shroomer said:
that is a Laetiporus sulphureus: The Chicken of the Woods & quite tasty if cooked properly they taste just like chicken

Thanks shroomer, for the info, & WELCOME.

Fossis.............

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Timberwolf said:
Fossis,

That's a pretty one ;D I like fried mushrooms, but they don't look anything like that ::)

Tom

No they don't Tom, ;D

Fossis.............

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread