tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty scene. My cousin who is one month older than me had a heart attack splitting firewood. The doctors fixed him up with some bypass surgery. Everything is working great on him now.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Pretty scene. My cousin who is one month older than me had a heart attack splitting firewood. The doctors fixed him up with some bypass surgery. Everything is working great on him now.
...including the surgeon's watch, which now ticks away inside of him. :laughing7:

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll never figure out how some of you folks can stand that weather. :icon_scratch:
Or, how I had ended up watching these videos, the other day.
Seeing your post, reminded me of them, I'd sure be looking for easier and
heart attack free wood splitting help, if it were me...... :notworthy:

I actually like this first one on the fb link, the best, lol.

https://www.facebook.com/ilovewoodwork/videos/1673742919579515/

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't do facebook(!!), but I recognize the image in that first link. Yes, that's an awesome idea! Don't know if his idea was original to him or if anyone else had ever thought of it, but I've seen man-powered lathe that works on the same principle, and it's old-world technology. That was how lathes had to be made in the beginning.

Actually, there's a couple different designs for man-powered lathe. The one I'm referencing was shown on The Woodwright's Shop, and consists of a pedal on the floor, a spring board overhead, and a rope of some sort connected between them. Wrap the rope around your piece and connect to the pedal. Then every time you push your foot down, the piece turns several times.

That's one thing I truly miss about pre-mechanized technology is its simplicity. That method of splitting wood actually is genius!

Another newer takeoff from an older technology is a wood splitter that uses a heavy wheel. A smaller electric motor spins the wheel. And while the motor is not powerful enough to split the wood, the wheel carries with it momentum and centrifugal force, which carries the splitter through the wood.

...Sorry, what was the question again?!?!? :laughing7:

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't do facebook(!!), but I recognize the image in that first link. Yes, that's an awesome idea! Don't know if his idea was original to him or if anyone else had ever thought of it, but I've seen man-powered lathe that works on the same principle, and it's old-world technology. That was how lathes had to be made in the beginning.

Actually, there's a couple different designs for man-powered lathe. The one I'm referencing was shown on The Woodwright's Shop, and consists of a pedal on the floor, a spring board overhead, and a rope of some sort connected between them. Wrap the rope around your piece and connect to the pedal. Then every time you push your foot down, the piece turns several times.

That's one thing I truly miss about pre-mechanized technology is its simplicity. That method of splitting wood actually is genius!

Another newer takeoff from an older technology is a wood splitter that uses a heavy wheel. A smaller electric motor spins the wheel. And while the motor is not powerful enough to split the wood, the wheel carries with it momentum and centrifugal force, which carries the splitter through the wood.

...Sorry, what was the question again?!?!? :laughing7:
I don't think there ever was a question :laughing7:
so I guess that infers that wandering is allowed. :dontknow:

Yes, thanks a lot, there's a bunch of videos of foot petal or treadle lathes. :BangHead:
And oddly enough, I find watching those somewhat soothing, too. :icon_scratch:
I could fall asleep to watching those, (almost did) lol, probably quicker and easier than
watching golf or string theory to induce a nap. :BangHead:

I kept thinking "spindle" lathe, but something kept telling me that wasn't right.
I was thinking along the line of old tools for making the thread, looms, and such.
You would probably appreciate Don Proennekes' work, spending time alone in the
Alaskan wilderness, building everything by hand.

I think the op had mentioned something about splitting wood. :laughing7:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes!! A legend in his own time!

Yes, I always wanted to go live in the bush. Didn't know about prospecting then or I probably would have!! BUT, life interceeded and I injured my neck, so can't stray too far from medical care anymore. :BangHead: (<-- even THIS hurts my neck!) :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions