• 00444.JPG
    00444.JPG
    241.9 KB · Views: 157

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice pictures, I love the one that shows both buildings the sky makes that picture fantastic.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can only recall driving out of New Mexico on I40 East of Albuquerque a few times. It's little spooky out that way. Brokedown in Vaughn New Mexico long ago and stayed 3 nights waiting to get the vehicle fixed. The whole town was operated by a family who drove from Texas each day. The dinner and ratty motel was owned by the dad. The tow truck was owned by the uncle who was also the school principal. The son ran the auto repair shop and they called him "Speedy" and this other relative operated the only bank and he assisted me with a bank transfer to pay for the repairs as Speedy only accepted cash for his work. I was pretty happy to leave that place finally.

Attachments

• Ride back home 4 - Vaughn motel.JPG
    Ride back home 4 - Vaughn motel.JPG
    205.3 KB · Views: 174
OP
OP
ronwoodcraft

ronwoodcraft

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2007
Idaho
I can only recall driving out of New Mexico on I40 East of Albuquerque a few times. It's little spooky out that way. Brokedown in Vaughn New Mexico long ago and stayed 3 nights waiting to get the vehicle fixed. The whole town was operated by a family who drove from Texas each day. The dinner and ratty motel was owned by the dad. The tow truck was owned by the uncle who was also the school principal. The son ran the auto repair shop and they called him "Speedy" and this other relative operated the only bank and he assisted me with a bank transfer to pay for the repairs as Speedy only accepted cash for his work. I was pretty happy to leave that place finally.
:laughing7::laughing7: Sorry about your misfortune Grant. Seems there are a lot of similar places. I didn't take any pictures of the inside of this building because someone had vandalized it. On the wall behind the pulpit, some one had spray painted " Welcome to the church of fornication. "

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:laughing7::laughing7: Sorry about your misfortune Grant. Seems there are a lot of similar places. I didn't take any pictures of the inside of this building because someone had vandalized it. On the wall behind the pulpit, some one had spray painted " Welcome to the church of fornication. "
It happens. Couldn't really sleep in that motel as I just couldn't get the original "Texas chainsaw movie" out of mind in a place with no TV. I was doing business in Carlsbad and a job in Tucumcari where a mine contractor was driving a tunnel funded by the Morman church. I've always wondered why the LDS needed an underground cavern out there in the middle of nowhere???

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Was there an old two story house out behind that motel?

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was there an old two story house out behind that motel?
Every building in that town was old and run down I recall, but nobody named Bate's around that I ran into. I think the last time I drove though Vaughn it was maybe 5 years ago now. I looked less alive then the time I was stuck there back around 1993 I think?. The company I worked for then gave me a 1991 Chevy Lumina to drive. The belt tensioner spring on it broke and it would no longer drive the alternator, but I think it had a belt that drove the water pump because I drove it north towards Vaughn as far I could shutting down radio and AC. It was hot as hell out there and it all came to a stop 20 miles south of Vaughn. I sat there for maybe 2 hour in a wind that felt like a giant hair dryer was blowing on me. No cell phone, but a fella stopped going to Vaughn and said he knows the tow truck guy in town and told me hold tight as a tow truck will be coming.

Last edited:

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The only views I ever had of sites in that area were when I passed through on I-40 back in the mid 80's. I was on my way to OKC from Bakersfield after leaving the Air Force and was more interested in impressing this young lady I had just met than viewing the things flying by us as we traveled eastward:dontknow:

I really like the different building techniques and materials of the west.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You always take great pics, but that second pic is about the coolest for some reason to me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread