gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DSCN2846.JPG DSCN2847.JPG Saw this awesome rock yesterday driving up from Wickenburg, AZ to Grand Junction, CO. Rock formation was along route 191 and had a no trespassing sign on the fence by the road so I couldn't investigate the interesting hole in the bottom. I wouldn't be surprised if Tamrock has seen this cool formation.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen it a few times south of Moab. It's called Church Rock. Looks a bit overcast out there.

OP
OP
gunsil

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, overcast yesterday along a good part of my route. Was a blessing in the snow covered areas since I didn't have to deal with glare off the snow even though I have excellent polarized sun glasses. Sun would have been nice to light up all the amazing rock formations along the way, but we cannot choose the weather. Thanks for the ID of the rock!! I'll be crossing CO west to east on I-70 on thursday, forecast is for sun, I hope it holds true.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Very cool indeed!! :thumbsup: I've never seen that before - not even pics, so thanks for posting that amazing chunk of rock!

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting. I've never read anything about Church Rock and the Home of the Truth cult. Their old ghost town would be fun to check out. I've covered that whole area when the uranium mines are up and running. Only one mine is working now sinking a shaft just north of Williams Arizona. I'll make a visit there this winter at least once or twice before the tourist season kicks in again and motel rates go up and fill up. There's so much to see around that part of the south west and people from around the world come to visit in the warmer months.

Last edited:

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, overcast yesterday along a good part of my route. Was a blessing in the snow covered areas since I didn't have to deal with glare off the snow even though I have excellent polarized sun glasses. Sun would have been nice to light up all the amazing rock formations along the way, but we cannot choose the weather. Thanks for the ID of the rock!! I'll be crossing CO west to east on I-70 on thursday, forecast is for sun, I hope it holds true.
Thursday? I thought you were in a big hurry to get to GJ. I've made it home to the Denver area from that point many times in a day. I take the road that cuts to to center of Colorado that goes into LaSal, Utah. A lot of snow in the winter, though it is less high speed traffic then an icy I70 that can be a suicide mission because of all who believe their AW Drives are Invincible at 70 mpr. You must be going to spend some time in Moab huh?

OP
OP
gunsil

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thursday? I thought you were in a big hurry to get to GJ. I've made it home to the Denver area from that point many times in a day. I take the road that cuts to to center of Colorado that goes into LaSal, Utah. A lot of snow in the winter, though it is less high speed traffic then an icy I70 that can be a suicide mission because of all who believe their AW Drives are Invincible at 70 mpr. You must be going to spend some time in Moab huh?

I ran fast from Wickenburg to GJ, and am visiting a friend here in GJ for a few days then off to St Louis for a day, then SW OH for a couple days and finally back to NY. going up on the CO national monument today for a look-see. Wish I had had more time to hang around Moab for a day or so, maybe next year.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ran fast from Wickenburg to GJ, and am visiting a friend here in GJ for a few days then off to St Louis for a day, then SW OH for a couple days and finally back to NY. going up on the CO national monument today for a look-see. Wish I had had more time to hang around Moab for a day or so, maybe next year.
I've only been up in the CNM a few times, as it doesn't take me where I'm headed and when I did go up there is was merely out of curiosity. I would think it be pretty wintery up on that high mesa this time of the year. It's pretty neat up that way and many square miles of wilderness for sure. That cooler hazy skies you saw west of Colorado has now made it's way over hear.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Dang dude, I'm EXHAUSTED just reading your post!! That's too much driving for me!

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Church Rock and its history is pretty cool. We've been by there a few times. Too bad you didn't get to go over west of there and check out Newspaper Rock, gunsil.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I seen that on my plate of Mashed Potatoes :o

Very Cool :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread