tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been noticing a small pack of 4, maybe more coyote hanging around this area out in the middle of the wheat field and I'm thinking they could be digging a den out there? This may be a pregnant female taking it easy and a sign of early spring, which can still be a pretty harsh time of year here in Colorado... First picture is min-zoom and the second is max-zoom. This little camera with an eye-viewer has come in handy many times just to zoom in on a subject, to see what it is out there. It does lack in image sharpness at max zoom, but it sure beat trying to document nature with just a smartphone on hand. Maybe I'll get to see some little coyote pups?.

Attachments

• walk 012817 1.jpg
    walk 012817 1.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 172
  • walk 012817 2.jpg
    walk 012817 2.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 180
Last edited:

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Don't see a den, but then that's the whole point..they want it where you won't see it.

Still too early in the year for the coyotes to be mating and digging dens, as that
generally begins around late Feb. Could well be that pooch has a good stock of
mice out in that field, and just decided to hang around for a couple days.

With my Nikon D90 I can get as much as 450mm of zoom (300mm zoom plus
crop sensor), but it never seems enough when you need it. ..:BangHead:

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't see a den, but then that's the whole point..they want it where you won't see it.

Still too early in the year for the coyotes to be mating and digging dens, as that
generally begins around late Feb. Could well be that pooch has a good stock of
mice out in that field, and just decided to hang around for a couple days.

With my Nikon D90 I can get as much as 450mm of zoom (300mm zoom plus
crop sensor), but it never seems enough when you need it. ..:BangHead:
I was thinking that was a pile of fresh dug dirt in front of it. There are a lot of field mice, vols, prairie dogs and rabbits for them to dine on in the field, so yes being full would make for a nice day to just relax. Your Nikon couldn't fit in your pocket either.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I scaned that first pic for 10 minutes looking for a den in them close weeds dude,heh....then I went back and read the post.:tongue3:

GOD Bless

Chris

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hope you see Coyote pups and I see little foxes:icon_thumright:

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope you see Coyote pups and I see little foxes:icon_thumright:
There won't be anymore Fox out in this territory. These coyote have run em all off. The fox that didn't heed the warning would end up in pieces. I saw once five coyote all after one fox running through the neighborhood. I chased off the coyote with my truck back to the field. I use to watch the fox laydown in grass out in front of the concrete porch from the window and wait for the baby bunnies come out. In a flash that little bunny be snatch up. I still see the fox every now and then at night in more densely populated neighborhoods. As for the open space behind me it's all coyote country now. I'd see pheasant when I first moved here, but both the fox and coyote most likely gobbled up their chicks and eggs. As the prairie dog colony grew the snakes and lizards have depleted also as the prairie dogs reduced the ground cover and now there numbers are down from no place to hide from the hawks. One thing the open space committee did was built a new shallow seasonal wetland and there these American Avosets nest, among other migratory birds. Their threatened by Blue Herons. There I watch the Avosets, redwing black birds and Killdare attack the Heron all together. That Heron must be like Tyrannosaurus Rex to all those small other birds. He's a vicious monster for sure to all of them who's there only to eat their children

Last edited:

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
You got a good eye, and a great camera.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread