Sick Tree

wesfrye53

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
Springfield, TN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202
Not sure if this would go here or Everything else...but here goes.

I figure with all the knowledge within this group somebody may be able to help me. This is a shot of one of the Maple trees in my front yard. The dead branches got that way in about 4 weeks.
My maple tree.JPG

And this is one across the street
maple across the street.JPG

There are some others in the the neighborhood that have died or are similar to these.

Anybody have any ideas what the cause is?

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
I think your neighborhood has what is known as Verticillium wilt. I have two with it . Its a fungus that comes from the soil. You either have to cut tree or try and cut out the infected part.....but usually that doesnt help.
I had to take a huge ione down last year ...now two others in yard are infected with it.

I am going to start blaming my mulch products for it soon.

OP
OP
wesfrye53

wesfrye53

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
Springfield, TN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202
Know of anything that will prevent the others from getting it? So far it has only affected sugar maples.

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As Gypsy said, however, if not a disease, I have seen Maple die very fast when there is a Natural Gas leak near the roots, any Natural Gas lines in the area? But since other trees are affected, most likely not a gas leak, just a thought...........

Don

lumbercamp

Jun 22, 2006
It might be maple decline. I don't know what causes it, but the maple trees are dieing at a fast rate here. A ridge top that I hike a few miles from my home is nothing but dead maple trees. The beech trees are also dead in the same area.

OP
OP
wesfrye53

wesfrye53

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
Springfield, TN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202
Don,

It seems to be just the sugar maples...up and down the street. Seems part of the tree starts dying and after a couple of years...the whole thing is dead.

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dont know about the maples Wes, but we lost lots of
pines a few years ago, now the oaks are dying, they say from
dry years.

Fossis............