Ghetto

ronwoodcraft

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2007
Idaho
I have people tell me how fortunate I am to have a job where I can look at all the nice scenery.....True, but you also see a lot of other places.

A couple of snapshots while waiting to load in Compton, CA Monday. ( Made HDR's because of the blah cloudy day. )

Hard to tell how many trucks I had ahead of me. People have discovered they can park their broken down motor homes, buses, and junk cars along both sides of street without having them towed. Folks are living in some of them.

Trucks have to park in the traffic lanes of the street waiting to be called in to load.

Attachments

• 001_a_to.JPG
    001_a_to.JPG
    264 KB · Views: 99
  • paint2.JPG
    paint2.JPG
    256.7 KB · Views: 96

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wouldn't want be walking down that sidewalk at night.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It used to be that Hunt's Point was the worst place in the country
to have to go (load or unload), but now there's more than one bad
spot in the US.

Looks like one of those spots where you hang the "No Lot Lizards"
sign in the window and lock the doors!

What the heck were you loading there? I see a flatbed and a dry box,
so I guess it's not perishable?

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Compton!?!?!? Gives me the shivers just hearing the name. One of my old partners said "I patrolled there, any other area is a walk in the park!" Spent a lot of my childhood with grandparents walking distance from the coliseum and learned quick white kids don't go to Compton for any reason.

Funny thing is, it looks like they've made progress cleaning it up! NO! I'm not being funny!!!

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
spot in the US.

Used to be a lot of little machine shops etc there. Imagine having to almost shoot your way into work! Compton was bad, Harbor Division was almost as bad, South Central was not as bad, they just picked up the reputation. Back in those days you go to LAPD academy, do a year on the street & you could count on getting hired by any cop shop around. Like having a gold star on your report card. :laughing7:

OP
OP
ronwoodcraft

ronwoodcraft

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2007
Idaho
Wouldn't want be walking down that sidewalk at night.
I am on electronic log books, and have to do what it tells me by law. I have ran out of time here a few times with not enough time to get out of LA, and forced to spend the night parked along that street. Never have been bothered there, but I can tell you the neighbor " hoods " come out after dark.

OP
OP
ronwoodcraft

ronwoodcraft

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2007
Idaho
spot in the US.

There is an Owens Corning roofing plant there. I was picking up shingles to go to Stockton. I think the recent rains have been good for the roofing business.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am on electronic log books, and have to do what it tells me by law. I have ran out of time here a few times with not enough time to get out of LA, and forced to spend the night parked along that street. Never have been bothered there, but I can tell you the neighbor " hoods " come out after dark.
Buddy of mine use to drive for England and he was telling me some nut case jumped up on the running board of his truck and tried to open the door. He said the guy got off real quick when he pointed his .357 right between eyes.

TommyB

Jul 24, 2013
OC, Calif
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI & Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I had a job call about a year ago in South LA around central and 108th st. to fix a machine at a grocery store. Same....same as you pics. Told my boss I wasn't working past about an hour til darkness. Wanted out of town BEFORE dark. Even the folks that live there don't go out after dark.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bet they sell a lot of battery powered reciprocating saws in that area and the drop lot is full of trailers with holes in the roofs!

OP
OP
ronwoodcraft

ronwoodcraft

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2007
Idaho
I've thought about detecting those strips along the sidewalk. I kind of doubt if they have been hunted for the same reason I am hesitant. Have to be looking over your shoulder constantly.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've thought about detecting those strips along the sidewalk. I kind of doubt if they have been hunted for the same reason I am hesitant. Have to be looking over your shoulder constantly.

Go hunt in groups and in broad daylight then and only then will you get away with it.......

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go hunt in groups and in broad daylight then and only then will you get away with it.......
Don't count on it! Drive bys are for real. You just don't hear about them much anymore. They're too common for the news & city hall doesn't like the negative press.:laughing7: Safety in numbers went out the window 25 years ago my friend!:laughing7:

FFFPatriot

Feb 21, 2017
Montana
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug II, 4 Kidde brand smoke detectors, and 1 carbon monoxide detector I bought from Home Depot (can't remember the brand).
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Funny, the two pictures actually look like paintings to me until I enlarge them. Can't imagine living in a city. What a friggin' toilet that place is.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread