tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last night I had to get a daughter at the Denver airport at 11:55 pm. With that finally fell asleep at maybe 2:AM this morning and I have a trip to Montana today. When I got north of Cheyenne Wyo. they got the gates down shutting all the traffic down on I25 from Wheatland to Cheyenne. OK I'll head out I80 to hit hwy 30 at Laramie to Medicine Bow and take the back way to Casper. No good that way either, cuz the main vain I80 is closed from Cheyenne all the way to Rock Springs. Shutting that road down will effect the stock market. Well I know one other way and I head to Torrington, Wyoming and hit the road to Guernsey from there and come out far north of all this blasting wind going on today. The highway to Torrington was pretty slick with all the snow blowing across the road and I kept thinking one of those big trucks going the other way was going to jack knife coming right at me. It was pretty bad and I saw one ship wreck over on it's side in the ditch. I finally made it back on I25 far north of all the blasting winds and said enough to driving here in Douglas Wyo. It's still cold and windy, but there's no way I'm going any further in the dark, so Douglas is it for tonight. These are some of the sights I saw along the way in my round about journey north.

Attachments

• trip 030117 1.jpg
    trip 030117 1.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 93
  • trip 030117 2.jpg
    trip 030117 2.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 85
  • trip 030117 3.jpg
    trip 030117 3.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 85
  • trip 030117 4.jpg
    trip 030117 4.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 84
  • trip 030117 6.jpg
    trip 030117 6.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 74

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Grant, if I-80 and I-25 are both closed, and you're in Cheyenne,
you're probably best off just parking in Cheyenne and waiting
it out. It's too bad out there and not safe to be going anywhere!

Plus, if you got stuck or had issues help is a long ways off.

Problem with Wyo. is it can do that in any month of the year! :BangHead:

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah, they have heated rest areas for a reason. I see the gates on the hiway in the summer, and say to myself, I aint going there in the winter.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I should have turned around and went back to Colorado, but I got around it all. I'm not hearing much wind up here in Douglas this morning.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Great pics as usual, Grant....especially the buffs. If it hasn't been experienced, the wind in that country is hard to believe. Glad you got around it.
Jim

DiamondDan

Apr 21, 2016
Robbinsdale, MN
Detector(s) used
White's M6; Tesoro Compadre; Minelab E-trac; Bounty Hunter QD2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Took the family down 30 to visit my folks in Green River about a month ago. The roads were horrible. It took us five hours to get there when it should have taken three. I was glad when we finally got there. Could hardly see the road through all the blowing snow. I ended up following a semi for the last half of the drive because he was a good reference point to keep me out of the ditch.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
photo_camera.gif
Dang - sounds like you had a bad day tamrock but I sure love the photographs of the country side.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
LOL...ya know Dan, when somebody from southern Idaho tells ya the driving conditions are bad...they're BAD!
Jim

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Took the family down 30 to visit my folks in Green River about a month ago. The roads were horrible. It took us five hours to get there when it should have taken three. I was glad when we finally got there. Could hardly see the road through all the blowing snow. I ended up following a semi for the last half of the drive because he was a good reference point to keep me out of the ditch.
I was going east on 80 between Green River and Rock Springs in a really bad blizzard at night and over in the west bound lanes I saw a big truck lose it and roll over on his side in the median. There was another big truck right behind that one following him and he rolled over on his side also, by following the truck in front. Both were Swift trucks and I watched it all unfold as I was going the other way.

Last edited:

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can imagine anything that breaks down there will be buried in drifts!

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can imagine anything that breaks down there will be buried in drifts!
I did have a water pump go out in weather close to this one time. I waited maybe 3 hours for a tow. I keep at all times enough clothing in the truck to stay warm. When I put all that on I'm sweating in 30 below weather. I keep a box full of munchies also and Tubbs snowshoes in the back with nice warm Sorel boots already strapped to the bindings just in case I half to walk away.

Cosmo3

Feb 8, 2017
Chattanooga, Tn.
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, Hori-Hori Knife, Gerber Folding Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My son lived in Rock Springs for a couple of years. I visited him a couple of times and loved the area.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My son lived in Rock Springs for a couple of years. I visited him a couple of times and loved the area.
Today it's a pretty nice town, but back in the 1990s that place had a big meth problem. There were zombies everywhere or so it seemed to me. I wouldn't stay in that town in those days. I'm thinking you only visited Rock Springs in the warmer months? It's not all that pleasant come winter in Rock Springs. Unless you like freezing cold open country. Sometimes I do like that.

kha924

Jan 29, 2017
NWPA 814
Detector(s) used
LRP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Reminds me of my sisters place in NE colorado flat windy and snow drifts I was there one time and it snowed for two days and there wasnt any on the ground but you would see some houses drifted in 6 ft of snow..o yeah sweet pics you sure get around..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread