Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never over up here, it seems like. About 5 inches more last night, and snow in the forecast for every day til Sunday. Ski resorts have closed except for A-Basin, which will stay open til June, anyway. Lakes at this elevation have cleared of ice finally. Got out detecting one of the city's snow piles last night and found only a single penny, which is very unusual. Maybe that rascal tamrock heard me talkin about those and got over here and beat me to it.

Attachments

• 4-25bb.jpg
    4-25bb.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 66
  • 4-25dd.jpg
    4-25dd.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 43
  • 4-25ee.jpg
    4-25ee.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 51
  • 4-25ff.jpg
    4-25ff.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 49
  • 4-25gg.jpg
    4-25gg.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 49
OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Pics. Beautiful country. August is usually snow free, isn't it?
Doc Holliday said this country was nine months of winter and three months of late fall. Since we're above 9,000ft. it can snow any month of the year, but generally June, July, and August it's just rain showers til you get up above about 11,000ft. In 2003 it came in a brief snow storm and they had to cancel the 4th of July fireworks show. One thing that aggravates us a little is when the national news talks about Colorado weather, it's generally all about Denver. They're almost a mile lower and can be 40 or 50 degrees warmer than us, especially in spring.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in the cold front now in Craig, Colo. It should be over your way right about now... So I only missed finding one whole penny. Oh well, I did find enough for at least one can of dip.

OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ha, I suspected that! I may have been a little misleading on snow up here without meaning to. September, October, and November are pretty good weatherwise. Generally, by Thanksgiving the snow is on the ground to stay. I've seen anything from 2 or 3 inches to 2 or 3 feet. A white Christmas is pretty much guaranteed. 2017 started off with a bang with talk of record snowfall, but that kinda fizzled. The worst snowstorm I was ever in was about 3 years ago on Mother's Day comin from Fairplay over Hoosier Pass. Lots of accidents, one fatality, and I had to use every gear I had to navigate all that and get down off the mountain. Still better than an ice storm. The biggest impediment to detecting here is the ground freezes. And deep, too, for a looooong time.

Last edited:

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya should have seen your area when the ski industry seeded the clouds. The farmers on the eastern plains raised a lot a hell over that as it was proven I believe to screw up the precipitation that would fall on the eastern plains??... In 1977 living off of the road that goes to Tennessee pass I had a canyon with walls of snow taller then me dug to get to my old Intl' Scout. I decided then I'm moving to the banana belt.

Last edited:

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey RGINN!! My medical doctor partner is headed to Denver Friday for a batchelor party. Going to Red Rock to hear a band Saturday night!! Told him there wasn't enough bourbon and down coats to get out in the night snowy air!! He He!! Dummy!! Anyway GOOD LUCK and GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those tulips in snow is a dramatic shot! It sure looks beautiful there in your neck of the woods. It's possible we could get snow through May but usually the worst thing we will get is frost.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread