tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What I remember about this day when I was only 7 years old, is we were all lined up at the door of our classroom in Kewanee, ILL and waiting for the bell to ring and the teacher would let us all go home. The teacher would stand in front of the door, so none of us could get out before the bell. Then another teacher came in the door and whispered something in the ear of our teacher. I can still recall the shocked look on her face as she turned to all of us and said "THE PRESIDENT HAS BEEN SHOT". I then heard the little girl behind me say "President Kennedy". Getting home I found my dad was already home and completely glued to the TV and I can't recall he even acknowledged me that I was there. In the 1st picture is the X where JFK was hit with the first shot in the back of his neck. I then stood on that X and looked up to the sixth floor of the Texas School Book Depository Building. The 2nd picture is the X where the fatal shot hit JFK in the back side of his head and looked up from that spot again at the sixth floor window. In the last picture I took from the spot a man named Abraham Zapruder was running his 8mm motion picture camera from Dealey Plaza and captured the beginning of this horrific event on film that happened so long ago now. This is a place that will definitely give you chills.

Attachments

• JFK 1.jpg
    JFK 1.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 59
  • JFK 2.jpg
    JFK 2.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 72
  • JFK 3.jpg
    JFK 3.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 49
  • JFK 4.jpg
    JFK 4.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 57
  • JFK 5.jpg
    JFK 5.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 47

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I remember ,i was in third grade ,it came over the PA system that Kennedy had be assassinated.
Remember the flag draped coffin on the horse drawn wagon.
Gary

Last edited:

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I was in 6th grade and it came over the loud speaker"President Kennedy has been shot". The whole class started crying.

GOD Bless

Chris

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I was up and had the TV on, Walter Cronkite cut in with the announcement. Wife was still in bed, I woke her up, and we were glued to the TV.

mikefromIllinois

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2008
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-3D
Remember it well. I was 7yrs. old also, in a little town about 45 miles south of Kewanee called Abingdon. I believe we got out early that day for an ice storm.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember it. In my classroom they asked us to pray for the president at that moment, school was still in session, and I can remember to this day being befuddled, no TV at school. And I think I was 8.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was a bit before my time, but I know the History.

LHO, was a Heck of a shot & Luck with his hit's.

No Conspiracy talk , just saying.

Do recall when President R. Reagan was shot ,I was in 4th or 5th Grade.

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
It wasn't exactly before my time. I was only 4 months old. My mom told me she nearly dropped me when the news broke.

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
The challenger explosion I remember. I was babysitting. I just bawled and the little four year old I was watching was patting me on the back and telling me, " It's Ok, you'll be alright." I wonder if he remembers that?

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There were two other tragic events I recall:
The Challenger Explosion disaster on Jan.28, 1986 and Jim McKay's announcement at the '72 Olympic featuring his words: "They're all gone."
Don...
That Challenger disaster was a strange day for me. I was working at an Overhead Garage Door Company in Frisco, Colorado. I lived 65 miles from the shop in Buena Vista, Colorado so I had plenty of time to listen to radio in my commute. I was listening to the morning news and they were reporting all of what's going on around the world and said that NASA says the weather looks good for a launch of the Space Shuttle that day. I don't know why, but after they mentioned that my thoughts went to the the time of when the Apollo 1 fire happened and I said to myself something like boy, we've been pretty lucky with all of our space launches from that time going off with out many problems or loss of life. I guess that made me think the people of NASA really have a handle on what they're doing. When I got to work I started loading up the truck with the doors that would be installed and stop for a minute to turn on the radio in the shop and went back to what I was doing. They weren't playing any music and there was just some news people talking and really didn't pay much attention to what the we're talking about. Then they said something about keeping us updated on what happened to the Space Shuttle and that's when got the full story of what just happened. I definitely wondered why I had that thought of we've been very lucky no one had lost their life in America's Space program in a long time that day.

Last edited:

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I remember that day real well. We were in class and a teacher came in cryin and whispered to our teacher, then our teacher announced to us that the president had been shot. We didn't get let out early or anything, and some of the girls cried a little. When they had the funeral we had an assembly and the whole school watched it in the auditorium on about a 19" b&w TV placed in front on a table center stage. My family had the television then and I remember seein Oswald get shot and killed on live TV. Wow. I haven't quit watchin since.

Waterbug

Jul 6, 2005
Iowa
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, XLT & GoldmasterV/SAT
Fisher 1280x
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was working at a refrigeration factory,in the sheet metal shop at a break press, when it was announced over the loud speaker.

scruggs

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2008
Northern Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was a sophomore at oak ridge high school in oak ridge Tennessee when it came through the pa. Was a sad week for America.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
At that moment I was sitting in my car at MAFB, Riverside, CA going through an outprocessing procedure. I was talking to a buddy who was going into the USAF on that same day. My out-processing was still not complete. For a moment I froze thinking two things: WWIII had begun; and there was a strong possibility that outprocessing would be cancelled until the situation became clear.
Don......

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I remember that terrible day sitting in a junior high classroom when that announcement came in. I felt confusion and dismay and had to grow up a little faster on that day.

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
i wasn't born when this happened

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Well I'm going to have to ask for forgiveness. I couldn't resist the math challenge! I now know your approximate ages. :laughing9:
Except for gold boy. He's between 18-53. Lol.
Please, will you forgive me?:angel12:

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
Well I'm going to have to ask for forgiveness. I couldn't resist the math challenge! I now know your approximate ages. :laughing9:
Except for gold boy. He's between 18-53. Lol.
Please, will you forgive me?:angel12:

wrong younger

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread