tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Took these yesterday as I drove to Colorado Spring early down I25 to see a quarry between there and Canon City and then back home up the Arkansas valley and over Fremont pass to eastbound I70. I know at least one of you will see some very familiar places. The fifth picture is a place I know we'll, as I can only guess at how many miles I had gone up and down the shaft below that headframe between the years of 1977 to 1983. I'll never forget working out in the yard on a swing shift and finishing up early and me and some of the other guys would hike up to the valley beyond that head frame towards the headwaters of the Arkansas River on a full moon night. It unbelievable how those surrounding high peaks look under a clear full moon night. It's just an awesome sight of pale light and shadows. Kind of spooky in a way.

Attachments

• drive 101317 1.jpg
    drive 101317 1.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 55
  • drive 101317 2.jpg
    drive 101317 2.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 39
  • drive 101317 3.jpg
    drive 101317 3.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 45
  • drive 101317 4.jpg
    drive 101317 4.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 42
  • 5 shaft.jpg
    5 shaft.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 47
  • drive 101317 6.jpg
    drive 101317 6.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 41
Last edited:

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Your pictures make me want to move. My part of Ohio has no character. I guess all I need to do is hop on I70 and head west.:laughing9:
Beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Look closer at your surroundings. I'll bet I could photo Ohio in way that'll change your mind.

I bet you could. All I have are iPhone, notebooks, and Canon PowerShot. Plus, I'm no photographer. I got some good pics out on lake Erie before. But I don't go fishing anymore. I'll have to wait for hubby to get some and share.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That Canon should be just fine. I what I find most enjoyable is just looking for scenes to capture.

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I bet you could. All I have are iPhone, notebooks, and Canon PowerShot. Plus, I'm no photographer. I got some good pics out on lake Erie before. But I don't go fishing anymore. I'll have to wait for hubby to get some and share.

Most of my pics are done with a cheapie nikon point and shoot that "looks like" a dslr camera.

Get out and take some pics, critique them to see what you could have done better, AND learn how to "process" your images.

Cheap photo editing program like Paintshop can do so much (and so much cheaper than the subscription based Photoshop).

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
It also helps if you can get past the basic "point-and-shoot" mentality. ....Apparently I cannot! :tongue3::BangHead:

Grant, is that old truck yours? That the same one that was going into that photo contest last year? ...Or was it the year before that? :dontknow:

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It also helps if you can get past the basic "point-and-shoot" mentality. ....Apparently I cannot! :tongue3::BangHead:

Grant, is that old truck yours? That the same one that was going into that photo contest last year? ...Or was it the year before that? :dontknow:
No, not my old truck and vintage Airstream. It's yard art outside the town of Buena Vista, Colo. It was RGINN who picked this as a subject for a photo op, some time back?

ronwoodcraft

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2007
Idaho
Your pictures make me want to move. My part of Ohio has no character. I guess all I need to do is hop on I70 and head west.:laughing9:
Beautiful! Thanks for sharing.
I was in Ohio a few days ago. I picked up a load in West Virginia and passed through on the way to California. I would have liked to take some photo's, but just didn't have time to stop when I saw photo ops.......In my opinion all of Grants Pics look like postcards. I think if he lived in Ohio, everyone would want to go there too.

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Funny thing, I was at a local park for grandson's birthday a couple weeks ago. I was thinking "wouldn't it be cool to see a semi with the wreaths on it drive by!" Southern Ohio has beauty. I recognized a lot of those photos from the Google search. I was surprised by the falls in Toledo. Never seen that. I just need to get out more.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like this one Grant.

View attachment 1504618

GOD Bless

Chris
Yeah she stayed still. I took it from an open window of the truck and right in front of me maybe ten turkey crossing the road, but they were camera shy and headed for the brush when I pulled up to them. I had to be quick, as I was on a road to a quarry and didn't want some gavel hauler coming in on me as I was stopped on the road.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was in Ohio a few days ago. I picked up a load in West Virginia and passed through on the way to California. I would have liked to take some photo's, but just didn't have time to stop when I saw photo ops.......In my opinion all of Grants Pics look like postcards. I think if he lived in Ohio, everyone would want to go there too.
Wow! Thanks Ron.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That truck still looks good, don't it? It belongs to Jim Autry, who lives across the road. If he's around, he will come out and visit with you if he sees you lookin the truck over, and take you up for a closer look. I won in one category in the company statewide photo contest and got on a calendar. They gave me July and also put it on the cover. I never could get the right sky like you did, TR, but if I had I might of won the whole shootin match overall.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of my pics are done with a cheapie nikon point and shoot that "looks like" a dslr camera.

Get out and take some pics, critique them to see what you could have done better, AND learn how to "process" your images.

Cheap photo editing program like Paintshop can do so much (and so much cheaper than the subscription based Photoshop).

I use a 'older' Olympus Stylus 1030 SW, Waterproof Camera I found in the Sand on Tybee Island GA in 2014.
It spent the Night in the Ocean & still worked ..WOW!

This thing is smarter than me , so many options I don't even understand, in June I accidentally Erased almost a Year of pictures ( some good ones to ) by hitting 'format' trying to get the back screen to show 1 picture instead of the Block of 4 it was showing.

I works good for me , cause I carry it in my pocket ( in zipper case) on my long detecting Hikes & take the abuse of sweat, rain , falls, pretty well , just wish I could zoom a bit more .

FWIW.

Oh! More awesome pic's tamrock, thanks for posting.:icon_thumleft:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, I recognize some that!

Heres a pic that I bet youve seen yourself. Sorry, I cant stop TNET from twisting my pics

20170730_100238.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That truck still looks good, don't it? It belongs to Jim Autry, who lives across the road. If he's around, he will come out and visit with you if he sees you lookin the truck over, and take you up for a closer look. I won in one category in the company statewide photo contest and got on a calendar. They gave me July and also put it on the cover. I never could get the right sky like you did, TR, but if I had I might of won the whole shootin match overall.
This Autumn sun is better, as I think the angle of the sun kind of skips across the sky allowing the camera to see more of the blue. If you go back to the snow man the way the sun set casting a light later in the day it shines at more of a horizontal direction across the sky and you can see higher up in the picture it's getting almost up into the darkness of space. I also drop lower and tip the lens upward to change the angle of the sunlight at times and the will blue'n the background sky some more also. Other times you just can't do much of anything to change a white sky to blue, unless you have some fancy photo enhancing hardware. Someday maybe I get into all that stuff. For now I just like looking around and seeing if what I see will make a delightful picture.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, I recognize some that!

Heres a pic that I bet youve seen yourself. Sorry, I cant stop TNET from twisting my pics

View attachment 1505658
I could have? Me and my bud's would go 4 wheeling all over the mountain ranges on both sides of the upper Arkansas valley back in the day. Heck we felt like we owned that country back 40 years ago. Ain't like that anymore. You could dig for garnets on Ruby Mountain, Shoot your guns in a hundred different places, look for artifacts before someone says it's their land now and pan gold all up and down that river and you wouldn't see a sole for days. Heck I could talk a Lake county sheriff out of diving under the influence back then. Just had to be honest with him when he asked "how much you had to drink tonight"?. You tell him the truth and he'd say I'll be running from here to the county line and you sit still in your vehicle for 2 hours and if I see you on the road before then I'm sure you know where you and I will be taking a ride to. I was like yes sir thank you officer. :occasion14:

L

l2hunt

This is why I love living here in Colorado!! Thanks for sharing your pics with us tamrock!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread