Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Results 1 to 10 of 10
Like Tree38Likes
  • 11 Post By ronwoodcraft
  • 4 Post By worldtalker
  • 2 Post By tamrock
  • 4 Post By ronwoodcraft
  • 2 Post By ronwoodcraft
  • 3 Post By lookingharder
  • 4 Post By Wrightdigger
  • 3 Post By tamrock
  • 3 Post By DizzyDigger
  • 2 Post By Wrightdigger

Thread: Muskrat

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
  1. #1
    us
    Jul 2007
    Idaho
    1,667
    2928 times

    Muskrat

    I don't have cell service at my house, so go down to an old log pond a few miles from home where I have a signal. Took these while walking around the pond using a hands free device talking on the phone.....Seems there is always something to see there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	013.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	244.6 KB 
ID:	1545086   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0100.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	273.1 KB 
ID:	1545087   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0199.JPG 
Views:	21 
Size:	277.6 KB 
ID:	1545088   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0515.JPG 
Views:	21 
Size:	267.4 KB 
ID:	1545089  

  2. #2
    Charter Member
    us
    Chris

    May 2011
    Western Mass.
    Whites M-6 W/ DD6x10 SunRay DX-1 (A real sleeper)
    11,863
    12667 times
    The one everybody else missed.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronwoodcraft View Post
    I don't have cell service at my house, so go down to an old log pond a few miles from home where I have a signal. Took these while walking around the pond using a hands free device talking on the phone.....Seems there is always something to see there.
    What a porker.
    ​EVER WONDER WHERE YOUR THOUGHTS COME FROM ?

    Anger is what keeps you emotionally lost in your head and blind to reality.


    8 For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the Lord.
    9 For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. Isaiah 55:8-9


    For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high
    places. Ephesians 6:12

    ​7 minutes could change your lif​e...
    http://antidoteforall.com/

  3. #3
    us
    Grant Brandenburg

    Jan 2013
    Colorado
    Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
    8,837
    12481 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Great shots Ron and you succeeded as where I could not. I saw muskrat in creek nibbling on some grass on the bank this week. I tried to move in a position where the sticks and branches wouldn't be in the way of the shot. Pretty keen they are to potential danger as it detected my presence and quickly disappeared below the water. They're pretty fast and efficient swimmers underwater. I swear he scurried off as fast as a fish could swim as I could see him underwater head below a log jam in the creek. When I was 16 and 17 me and two other friends ran trap lines of maybe 20 traps in the creeks and marshes in Iowa. We'd check the traps before school and after school. We would maybe retrieve 15 to 20 pelts a day. We'd quickly skin them and put the pelts in a freezer chest, as that's how the buyer preferred we sold the pelts to him. I think we got like $1.25 a pelt average. This all ended for me when the song Muskrat Love hit the charts and I just couldn't bring myself to do anymore of what I was doing to these cute little critters. NOT. I freaking hated that song.
    Last edited by tamrock; Feb 03, 2018 at 08:03 AM.
    ronwoodcraft and Wrightdigger like this.

  4. #4
    us
    Jul 2007
    Idaho
    1,667
    2928 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tamrock View Post
    Great shots Ron and you succeeded as where I could not. I saw muskrat in creek nibbling on some grass on the bank this week. I tried to move in a position where the sticks and branches wouldn't be in the way of the shot. Pretty keen they are to potential danger as it detected my presence and quickly disappeared below the water. They're pretty fast and efficient swimmers underwater. I swear he scurried off as fast as a fish could swim as I could see him underwater head below a log jam in the creek. When I was 16 and 17 me and two other friends ran trap lines of maybe 20 traps in the creeks and marshes in Iowa. We'd check the traps before school and after school. We would maybe retrieve 15 to 20 pelts a day. We'd quickly skin them and put the pelts in a freezer chest, as that's how the buyer preferred we sold the pelts to him. I think we got like $1.25 a pelt average. This all ended for me when the song Muskrat Love hit the charts and I just couldn't bring myself to do anymore of what I was doing to these cute little critters. NOT. I freaking hated that song.
    When I was younger, trapping was my passion, and I used to trap these and about every other fur bearing critter. Fur prices went down and gas prices went up, so became unprofitable.....I've grown soft in my old age, and don't really care to hunt or trap anymore anyway. ( Except with a camera. )

  5. #5
    us
    Jul 2007
    Idaho
    1,667
    2928 times
    Quote Originally Posted by worldtalker View Post
    What a porker.
    Yeah he would be a good plump meal for a predator like a mink or otter. He was living kind of dangerously out in the open in the day time. There are quite a few eagles in the area.
    worldtalker and Wrightdigger like this.

  6. #6
    us
    Feb 2015
    Virginia
    Whites Coin Master. Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Ace 350
    433
    735 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by ronwoodcraft View Post
    When I was younger, trapping was my passion, and I used to trap these and about every other fur bearing critter. Fur prices went down and gas prices went up, so became unprofitable.....I've grown soft in my old age, and don't really care to hunt or trap anymore anyway. ( Except with a camera. )
    Now days I have just about every kind of feeder in my back yard for birds,squirrels,deer, turkeys and I shot every one of them with a camera. better than anything on TV

  7. #7
    Charter Member
    us
    Sis

    Jun 2017
    Ohio
    AT MAX, Delta 4000
    1,950
    2885 times
    While I enjoy reading about all the treasures, my main interest is digging up the history of my farm
    Well, I'm thankful you all hunt and shoot with cameras and then share on tnet.

    I like the swim shot!


    Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

    1 Cor. 13:4-7 NIV



  8. #8
    us
    Grant Brandenburg

    Jan 2013
    Colorado
    Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
    8,837
    12481 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrightdigger View Post
    Well, I'm thankful you all hunt and shoot with cameras and then share on tnet.

    I like the swim shot!
    Yeah I was thinking my ways of the past may not sit well with you. It all changed for me in a kindof holy experience that took place with me long ago.
    ronwoodcraft, Wrightdigger and kcm like this.

  9. #9
    us
    Dec 2012
    Concrete, WA
    Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
    3,056
    4998 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by ronwoodcraft View Post
    When I was younger, trapping was my passion, and I used to trap these and about every other fur bearing critter. Fur prices went down and gas prices went up, so became unprofitable.....I've grown soft in my old age, and don't really care to hunt or trap anymore anyway. (Except with a camera. )
    Ditto here Ron..couldn't have said it better.

    Hunted and trapped fur from Arizona to the BC border for many years,
    then in the winter of 1990 it was like a switch turned off...apparently
    I had reached my limit. Last critter I trapped was a beautiful female
    coyote, and she'd been hanging around the field where my (then)
    2 year old daughter and my (then) wife walked every day.

    She was back-footed in a #2 longspring, and when I was preparing
    to terminate her....well, I just couldn't do it. Since I had her attention,
    I gave her a good chewing out, and told her if I ever saw her in the
    field again it would not go well for her. Taking a chance, I reached down
    and caught the wire connecting the trap to it's anchor, and as she stretched
    out in front of me I just reached up and popped the trap off her foot.

    She took about three steps, stopped to check her foot (which was fine)
    and looked at me as if to say "Thanks", then she calmly trotted on down the
    trail and into the bush.

    Nowadays you'll find me sitting on my front porch with half a dozen wild
    (and fat) raccoons crawling all around me looking for treats. Don't ask me
    how they got fat...

    BTW, that's one uber-fat 'rat! Thing almost looks the size of a Nutria.
    Last edited by DizzyDigger; Feb 04, 2018 at 08:35 AM.
    Wrightdigger, ronwoodcraft and kcm like this.
    Mike (aka Dizz)

    "If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude better than the animating contest
    of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick
    the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you
    were our countrymen." ~~ Samuel Adams, 1776

    Dizzy's Super-Simple, Universal Rule of Forum Conduct: Don't be an ass.

  10. #10
    Charter Member
    us
    Sis

    Jun 2017
    Ohio
    AT MAX, Delta 4000
    1,950
    2885 times
    While I enjoy reading about all the treasures, my main interest is digging up the history of my farm
    Quote Originally Posted by tamrock View Post
    Yeah I was thinking my ways of the past may not sit well with you. It all changed for me in a kindof holy experience that took place with me long ago.

    There is a time for everything,
    and a season for every activity under the heavens:
    ronwoodcraft and DizzyDigger like this.


    Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

    1 Cor. 13:4-7 NIV



 

 

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. ... Different version of a muskrat spear??
    By mk4125 in forum Fur Trade Artifacts
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: May 02, 2018, 09:27 PM
  2. Muskrat spear & other stuff today......
    By Ia.FurTrade in forum Fur Trade Artifacts
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Sep 28, 2016, 09:16 PM
  3. BONE IDS I was first thinking muskrat, but now???
    By bci101tractors in forum North American Indian Artifacts
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: Mar 01, 2013, 08:26 AM
  4. Heres how muskrat spears come out of the soil around here!
    By Ia.FurTrade in forum Fur Trade Artifacts
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Oct 03, 2008, 09:17 PM
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0