worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't have cell service at my house, so go down to an old log pond a few miles from home where I have a signal. Took these while walking around the pond using a hands free device talking on the phone.....Seems there is always something to see there.

What a porker.:laughing7:

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great shots Ron and you succeeded as where I could not. I saw muskrat in creek nibbling on some grass on the bank this week. I tried to move in a position where the sticks and branches wouldn't be in the way of the shot. Pretty keen they are to potential danger as it detected my presence and quickly disappeared below the water. They're pretty fast and efficient swimmers underwater. I swear he scurried off as fast as a fish could swim as I could see him underwater head below a log jam in the creek. When I was 16 and 17 me and two other friends ran trap lines of maybe 20 traps in the creeks and marshes in Iowa. We'd check the traps before school and after school. We would maybe retrieve 15 to 20 pelts a day. We'd quickly skin them and put the pelts in a freezer chest, as that's how the buyer preferred we sold the pelts to him. I think we got like $1.25 a pelt average. This all ended for me when the song Muskrat Love hit the charts and I just couldn't bring myself to do anymore of what I was doing to these cute little critters. NOT. I freaking hated that song.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ronwoodcraft

ronwoodcraft

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2007
Idaho
Great shots Ron and you succeeded as where I could not. I saw muskrat in creek nibbling on some grass on the bank this week. I tried to move in a position where the sticks and branches wouldn't be in the way of the shot. Pretty keen they are to potential danger as it detected my presence and quickly disappeared below the water. They're pretty fast and efficient swimmers underwater. I swear he scurried off as fast as a fish could swim as I could see him underwater head below a log jam in the creek. When I was 16 and 17 me and two other friends ran trap lines of maybe 20 traps in the creeks and marshes in Iowa. We'd check the traps before school and after school. We would maybe retrieve 15 to 20 pelts a day. We'd quickly skin them and put the pelts in a freezer chest, as that's how the buyer preferred we sold the pelts to him. I think we got like $1.25 a pelt average. This all ended for me when the song Muskrat Love hit the charts and I just couldn't bring myself to do anymore of what I was doing to these cute little critters. NOT. I freaking hated that song.
When I was younger, trapping was my passion, and I used to trap these and about every other fur bearing critter. Fur prices went down and gas prices went up, so became unprofitable.....I've grown soft in my old age, and don't really care to hunt or trap anymore anyway. ( Except with a camera. )

lookingharder

Feb 27, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master. Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was younger, trapping was my passion, and I used to trap these and about every other fur bearing critter. Fur prices went down and gas prices went up, so became unprofitable.....I've grown soft in my old age, and don't really care to hunt or trap anymore anyway. ( Except with a camera. )

Now days I have just about every kind of feeder in my back yard for birds,squirrels,deer, turkeys and I shot every one of them with a camera. better than anything on TV

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, I'm thankful you all hunt and shoot with cameras and then share on tnet.

I like the swim shot! :thumbsup:

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I'm thankful you all hunt and shoot with cameras and then share on tnet.

I like the swim shot! :thumbsup:
Yeah I was thinking my ways of the past may not sit well with you. It all changed for me in a kindof holy experience that took place with me long ago.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
When I was younger, trapping was my passion, and I used to trap these and about every other fur bearing critter. Fur prices went down and gas prices went up, so became unprofitable.....I've grown soft in my old age, and don't really care to hunt or trap anymore anyway. (Except with a camera. )

Ditto here Ron..couldn't have said it better. :occasion14:

Hunted and trapped fur from Arizona to the BC border for many years,
then in the winter of 1990 it was like a switch turned off...apparently
I had reached my limit. Last critter I trapped was a beautiful female
coyote, and she'd been hanging around the field where my (then)
2 year old daughter and my (then) wife walked every day.

She was back-footed in a #2 longspring, and when I was preparing
to terminate her....well, I just couldn't do it. Since I had her attention,
I gave her a good chewing out, and told her if I ever saw her in the
field again it would not go well for her. Taking a chance, I reached down
and caught the wire connecting the trap to it's anchor, and as she stretched
out in front of me I just reached up and popped the trap off her foot.

She took about three steps, stopped to check her foot (which was fine)
and looked at me as if to say "Thanks", then she calmly trotted on down the
trail and into the bush.

Nowadays you'll find me sitting on my front porch with half a dozen wild
(and fat) raccoons crawling all around me looking for treats. Don't ask me
how they got fat...:laughing7:

BTW, that's one uber-fat 'rat! Thing almost looks the size of a Nutria.

Last edited:

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah I was thinking my ways of the past may not sit well with you. It all changed for me in a kindof holy experience that took place with me long ago.

There is a time for everything,
and a season for every activity under the heavens:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread