Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree145Likes

Thread: Woodworking

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    Jun 2017
    2050 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by kcm View Post
    Ditto!
    ronwoodcraft likes this.

us
    Rook

Nov 2013
    Mississippi
    AT Pro, Fisher F75 Limited, White M6, Lesche hand digger,Lesche Predator shovel.NEL Storm and Tornado coils.
    462 times
    Found an old barn I had been eyeballing for a while and finally stopped and ask an elderly woman what the plans were for the barn falling in. She told me they were planning on pushing it over and burning it. I ask for some of the wood in advance off of it and she said yes. I carried my truck back and got a pickup load. Offered to pay her but she refused. It turns out after planeing that about half of the wood is Chestnut which died out in the south starting in the thirties. The tops are Chestnut and the legs are Heart pine. I've got 4 grandchildren all girls. All are getting a table made on the same style except for different corbels. I have one more to make. I hope. Thanks for the nice posts.
    Last edited by rook3434; Feb 06, 2018 at 11:11 AM.
    kcm and ronwoodcraft like this.
    Words not spoken never have to be defended

Charter Member
    us
    Feb 2015
    Yacolt WA
    Ace 350 - AT Pro
    923 times
    Wow, simply WOW!!!!!
    ronwoodcraft likes this.

us
    Jun 2006
    Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
    WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
    1914 times
    Very fine work! You've got a true talent, a good eye, and the skill few have! The ability to see it and the most important talent of all being able to get it from your mind to your hands! Salute to you!!!
    ronwoodcraft and Kray Gelder like this.
    I know it's here, just need a bigger coil!

I think I know what my last words will be....
    "Hold my beer and watch this!"

us
    Jul 2007
    Idaho
    2749 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rook3434 View Post
    Found an old barn I had been eyeballing for a while and finally stopped and ask an elderly woman what the plans were for the barn falling in. She told me they were planning on pushing it over and burning it. I ask for some of the wood in advance off of it and she said yes. I carried my truck back and got a pickup load. Offered to pay her but she refused. It turns out after planeing that about half of the wood is Chestnut which died out in the south starting in the thirties. The tops are Chestnut and the legs are Heart pine. I've got 4 grandchildren all girls. All are getting a table made on the same style except for different corbels. I have one more to make. I hope. Thanks for the nice posts.
    Awesome Rook! When I was out looking for unique pieces of wood, I considered it a form of treasure hunting. Sounds like you did the same finding some beautiful chestnut.....You did beautiful work with it too. Good for you making tables for your granddaughters.
    rook3434 likes this.

us
    Rook

Nov 2013
    Mississippi
    AT Pro, Fisher F75 Limited, White M6, Lesche hand digger,Lesche Predator shovel.NEL Storm and Tornado coils.
    462 times
    Thanks. I hope to finish the fourth by the end of Spring as I'm ready to start Treasure hunting again. Your work takes great imagination. All I do is check out a web site or two, get some ideas and try to keep my bride out of the shop while I'm working. Congrats on you work also.
    ronwoodcraft likes this.
    Words not spoken never have to be defended

us
    Dennis

Jan 2012
    Montana
    White's MXT
    4411 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    On the bed do you use those large dowel bits that the Woodcrafter Magazine sells? Just curious.
    ronwoodcraft likes this.

us
    Jul 2007
    Idaho
    2749 times
    Quote Originally Posted by old digger View Post
    On the bed do you use those large dowel bits that the Woodcrafter Magazine sells? Just curious.
    No, I believe what you're referring to is a tenon cutter and I've never had one....I use a hole saw, can't remember the size, but think 1 5/8" diameter. Use that to get started, then fiddle whittle the wood on the outside with a chainsaw, angle grinder and orbital sander until it fits.
    old digger likes this.

us
    Dennis

Jan 2012
    Montana
    White's MXT
    4411 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    So in other words you kind of do the old fashioned way. Absolutely nothing wrong with that.
    ronwoodcraft likes this.

us
    Jul 2007
    Idaho
    2749 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ronwoodcraft View Post
    No, I believe what you're referring to is a tenon cutter and I've never had one....I use a hole saw, can't remember the size, but think 1 5/8" diameter. Use that to get started, then fiddle whittle the wood on the outside with a chainsaw, angle grinder and orbital sander until it fits.
    This is a queen size burled lodge pole pine. I use blind scribed mortise tenon joints where the cross pieces and side rails join the posts.....The tenons are round for the cross pieces. None of them are visible, but I tried to show a detail of the joint where the side rail joins the post......Made a rectangular tenon by basically carving a 2x4 on each end of the side rail. The rectangular mortises are made with a drill and chisel. A 1/2" lag bolt pulls it tight against the post. The rectangular tenon prevents a swivel action, and the scribed shoulder prevents the head and foot from folding in.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	queenburlbed026_RT8.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	99.3 KB 
ID:	1547470   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	queenburlbed019_RT8.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	54.1 KB 
ID:	1547471   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	queenburlbed035_RT8.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	58.0 KB 
ID:	1547472   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	queenburlbed030_RT8.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	52.7 KB 
ID:	1547473  

us
    logger/ sawmill operator

Jun 2016
    KENTUCKY
    whites/ bh
    656 times
    Now thats remarkable i have alot of stuff you could work wonders with. wish you was my next door neighbor ,we could get along good.
    Kray Gelder and ronwoodcraft like this.

kcm
    us
    Feb 2016
    NW Minnesota
    Tesoro Silver uMax
    5965 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by ronwoodcraft View Post
    This is a queen size burled lodge pole pine. I use blind scribed mortise tenon joints where the cross pieces and side rails join the posts.....The tenons are round for the cross pieces. None of them are visible, but I tried to show a detail of the joint where the side rail joins the post......Made a rectangular tenon by basically carving a 2x4 on each end of the side rail. The rectangular mortises are made with a drill and chisel. A 1/2" lag bolt pulls it tight against the post. The rectangular tenon prevents a swivel action, and the scribed shoulder prevents the head and foot from folding in.
    Being a simpleton myself, I obviously looked at the photos first. As I gazed across the beauty of the natural wood grain, I kept wondering how you had chosen to make the mortise for that tenon. .....Then I actually do the reading and OH!, you already answered -- you did it the hard way! Yessir there Ron, you're a true craftsman!!
    Chadeaux and ronwoodcraft like this.
    "...I've got silver in the stars and gold in the morning sun" - Don Williams

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links