Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was shooting pics from the mouth of the Smith river. I can see....barley see Point St. George light house. 3-6 miles away. I used digital zoom that I know is a quality killer. When I got home and processed these pic... There is a boat!! I have seen photos where this kind of image ....haze....far away.... are desired. (for sale):laughing7:
I either hit it.... or took a hazy pic.....

low tide mouth smith river 074.JPG

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I was shooting pics from the mouth of the Smith river. I can see....barley see Point St. George light house. 3-6 miles away. I used digital zoom that I know is a quality killer. When I got home and processed these pic... There is a boat!! I have seen photos where this kind of image ....haze....far away.... are desired. (for sale):laughing7:
I either hit it.... or took a hazy pic.....

View attachment 1552975

Hazy pic? Doesn't matter, OV, that is a stunning image. In my opinion you nailed that one.

It's such a shame when the limits of our tools get in the way. Can't completely fix it in 30 minutes, but here's what a little "frequency separation" (separating the high frequency noise from the low frequency color) editing will do for it. Hope you don't mind ...

Image1.jpg

if you have a larger version of that image (more pixels = more detail) it could be cleaned up better and possibly enhanced a bit.

Be well.

Last edited:

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice shots OV. It brings up an old memory of this old bazaar flic of the 70's and I guy I knew with and Orange 1969 GTO Judge that he had painted on the side of it Clockwork Orange.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seeing that pic reminds me of the sinking of the Brother Jonathan.
Great pic; shows the total isolation of that lighthouse.
No wonder some of the keepers went nuts out there.

Don...
I also heard of going AWOL and a Suacide. This lighthouse is in my county and I work at the other lighthouse, Battery Piont.

One day I will get out to st.george. My historical society gets out a few times a year for upkeep.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Cyberdan,
Yes, the Del Norte Historical Society is a great source for information regarding the lighthouse (and the Brother Jonathan wreck).
No doubt you know the ship's safe has never been found--yet you are sooooooo close to it. Ever tempted to find it?
Don..............

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great picture

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cyberdan,
Yes, the Del Norte Historical Society is a great source for information regarding the lighthouse (and the Brother Jonathan wreck).
No doubt you know the ship's safe has never been found--yet you are sooooooo close to it. Ever tempted to find it?
Don..............
No never tempted to dive for it, that water is cold. This is now my third winter here, I have been to the ocean well over a hundred times and i have only put one foot in the pacific. It was not on purpose. I was at the Battery Point lighthouse, it sits on a high piece of land, when the tide comes in it becomes an island. I was a little late leaving the lighthouse one day and the tide was coming in faster than normal, I know all the right rocks to step on but that didn’t help. One foot didn’t quite make it. Funny thing shoe got wet but my foot stayed dry. I was too fast.

Since I am with the historical society I also work at the museum. We have one of the Brother Johnathan gold coins and many relics from the wreck. Also last June Mysteries at the museum came and shot an episode about the wreck and the treasure.

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
You nailed it! What a great pic! Love it! :notworthy:

WD, I am so glad you commented on this thread. I loved this pic OV did.

I tried before to take the noise out of the pic before, but now that I have better tools (and have increased knowledge) I gave it another try ... and this time it worked great! I absolutely LOVE Affinity Photo!!!

Attachments

• lighthouse.jpg
    lighthouse.jpg
    289.4 KB · Views: 57

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Still holding out for a new laptop. Or do you think I need a real computer?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread