Fox Digging Up My Porch - How To Rid Myself of this Creature?

FC-Treasure

Sep 9, 2011
Northern VA
Arghhh, so tired of filling in the huge holes this guy is leaving. Caught with a trail camera.

IMG_0001.JPG IMG_0002.JPG

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
12 gauge shotgun pump double ought buckshot

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, your local animal control sometimes loans out the live traps. Or get one at Tractor supply co.

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, I agree call your animal control officer--tho I used a 22 cal. on the 1 we had in our hedges, had mange badly. you might have fox pups shortly

yardgoat

May 15, 2015
Salmon, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, MX Sport
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You might try putting a portable radio tuned to a all talk channel near the porch, I've heard this works and it doesn't have to be that loud. The fox thinks that humans are near by so it will look for a different location for it's den. Hey might be worth a try. Good luck

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Often spraying urine from a larger predator in the area of the digging may deter the fox. Human urine may also help. Also salting the area with cayanne pepper might help.

rick67

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2014
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Get rid the rats or moles living around your yard. Poof he'll be gone.

Wudnut

May 20, 2017
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its almost puppy time, you can try live trap and camouflage it up some and bait with chicken etc and slowly work it to back of trap. I found some adult fox can be hard to live trap but have caught plenty using them. CHECK YOUR LAWS

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Not sure how your porch is. Or if the fox is after critters under it ,or wanting to den.
If ground is easy to dig ,and no electric wires or plumbing are near you could bury wire fencing around the edge.
Vertical a couple feet below grade with a couple feet above is an option if deeper digging is possible, ( and depending on porch height) but laid flat with a couple 3 inches of dirt on top are good too. I do both on dog kennels. They don't dig through or under that way.

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am in agreement with the majority, live trap him or get animal control to do it. I too live up here in NOVA and have a number of foxes traipsing through the yard, had one that dug in away from the house but has since moved on. If you decide to urinate on the area I would suggest you check for other trail cameras as you wouldn't want to end up on youtube!!!! :laughing7:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Call Animal control if you do not want to shoot it.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check wildlife regulations before doin any trapping on your own. We used to put mothballs out to keep skunks out from under the house. Something is a big attraction for that fox at your place, so maybe figure out what that is and remove the attraction.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it's wise to call animal control to deal with it. Its really not good to have a critter such as that living that close to a populated area. I'm thinking in terms of the rabid fox attack video you'll find online.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
She is making a den. She will have pups soon. Just doing what animals do.

If it were me, I'd set up a camera and enjoy the site of nature in my own yard. That fox will clear the area of mice, rats and voles.. as well as rabbits and squirrels. You ought to be able to grow a nice garden this year. JMHO sir.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread