Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
1148-8x10.jpg Golden Silk Orb Weavers, common here in SC, love to drape their webs across trails, sometimes in large groups. Oh, there's no scale here, but they are huge, half as big as your hand, or larger. Having one scampering around on you will make an old cripple dance a spritely jig! They are fairly docile, but if bitten, a person has little reaction to their type of venom, although because they have large jaws, you will know.

The little fellow is looking for love, and will test her mood by tapping the web. When he thinks the mission is GO, he will carefully approach from behind or the side, make his move, and then clear out. If she wasn't offended, she won't kill him and eat him, and he will hang around to repeat the tryst. His life is in her hands, and he is smitten. She may have a half dozen suitors hanging around, jockeying for access.

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Really good pic, Kray!
Jim

can_slaw

Nov 10, 2017
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
ACE 400, ACE 300, TESORO COMPADRE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What a cool post! Was not expecting it, and was pleasantly surprised!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Super shot!:occasion14:

mextallion

Jan 13, 2014
porterville calif
Detector(s) used
Spectrum xlt x-terra master huntercx gemini3 sierra madre, v3i, tdi, gti2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do any of you know any ladies that behave just like that spider???

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately , I was tempted by one 25 + years ago.

Still a sore spot.

OP
OP
Kray Gelder

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can you imagine going face to face with a spider half as big as your hand? Brass Kahonies right there!

Naw, they're just hangin' out, waiting for food. Get one on me, different story.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I walked into the web of one of those hiking on some trail in Florida. I was working in Alachua, FL and came home every other weekend, so on the weekends there I'd go explore different places in Florida. I went to Daytona Beach, Cedar Keys, canoed some River up north, several times I'd go to Flagler Beach and actually got to see the space shuttle launch, which was totally awesome. One thing's for sure if you're into the bugs, Florida is a great place to live.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kray Gelder

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I walked into the web of one of those hiking on some trail in Florida. I was working in Alachua, FL and came home every other weekend, so on the weekends there I'd go explore different places in Florida. I went to Daytona Beach, Cedar Keys, canoed some River up north, several times I'd go to Flagler Beach and actually got to see the space shuttle launch, which was totally awesome. One thing's for sure if you're into the bugs, Florida is a great place to live.

Walking into a spider web triggers an unreasonable response in me. And these bugs down here in the South! Super sized, many suck blood, some have venom. I don't step off of the pavement without hosing myself down with Deet.

Wish I had seen the shuttle launch. An awesome machine.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Good job Kray.:thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread