Geodes at Deming, NM

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wednesday morning I motored to Deming New Mexico. And caught a beautiful sunrise as I approached.
DSC00387.JPG

My destination was the only rock collecting park in the nation!
DSC00401.JPG

I looked around and found some rocks like pink jasper, black perlite but got advice from one of the park attendants, Jim, a former Marine, as to where to look for the geodes I came to find.
DSC00414.JPG He and my lean, green, fighting machine (Gumby) got along just fine!

WHERE? Up THERE!!?
DSC00415.JPG

Yes, up there. I went up, two hours of climbing! On the way up, God looked up at me and said, "You're on your own up there, kid".
This is the view from almost where I had to be. My Jeep and Bubble are in the far right edge of this pic..... I think.
DSC00426.JPG

I found ONE and was donated the other 6 by my buddy. Can you guess which is mine?
DSC00542.JPG

Candice, at the visitor center, showed me what they will probably look like when cut in half.
DSC00497.JPG DSC00492.JPG

I had a good time and packed up to leave the next day to go to Billy The Kid's grave up at Fort Sumner.
DSC00405.JPG At ten dollars a night, this is a MUST stop while you are traveling! TTC

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gorgeous sunrise. In the past I was visiting Silver City about once a month which isn't to far from Deming. I kinda miss going down that way.

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Forgot to post the pic of the mountain with the HOLE in it as you approach the park....
DSC00432.JPG

While up on the mountain, I had lunch..... Terry Solomon"s favorite! TTC

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
S DSC00431.JPG orry, here is the pick of Terry Solomon's favorite lunch...

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ah..... Spam. Haven't had that in years. Spam in a frypan for breakfast. Is that a Casita trailer you pulling?

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Terry, you're free and able!

I look back on when I worked for a living, was working in Plymouth, MA at Pilgrim Station and took a job at Diablo Canyon - drove across country in 3 days. Now I'm retired and it seems the longest trips I make now are to my mailbox!

At least I don't have to work for a living anymore! But, your pictures do bring back the yearning for travel again. Great pictures!

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ah..... Spam. Haven't had that in years. Spam in a frypan for breakfast. Is that a Casita trailer you pulling?
It is Casita's competitor, Scamp. They are about alike as Firebird's and Camaro's were. I passed another Jeep pulling a Scamp going in the other direction. For about three seconds we waved excitedly at each other! Scamp trailers are very popular. I have the 13 foot version. If I want to take a bath, I have to learn how to get up into the SINK! It is nice, though. TTC

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Terry, you're free and able!

I look back on when I worked for a living, was working in Plymouth, MA at Pilgrim Station and took a job at Diablo Canyon - drove across country in 3 days. Now I'm retired and it seems the longest trips I make now are to my mailbox!

At least I don't have to work for a living anymore! But, your pictures do bring back the yearning for travel again. Great pictures!
YES, SIR! That is my purpose! If you can't get out and see this nation, I'll bring it to your computer! Lot's of fun too. Take care, Roger. Terry

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
That sunrise pic is awesome! I enjoy all your photos. Be safe out there!

jdsly

Mar 7, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love spam. Wife thinks i'm crazy. Very nice pics. I was stationed in tucson for about 8 years. Great country out there

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Spam & eggs; Spam & spinach; Spam & whisky! I LOVE Spam!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow geogeous pics I wish I was there

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Koreans learned to love Spam during the Korean War. To this day Spam is considered a special treat and it is given in gift packs on holidays. The largest consumption of Spam out side of the US is Korea. Goes well with kimchi....... Better than C-rats..... Then there is plain ole cold Spam with a shot of yellow mustard on some cheap white bread...........

Holyground

May 17, 2014
Not in the can
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT GOLD, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post. It is God's Country. I'll be down there in a few months.

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
wow geogeous pics I wish I was there
You may wish you were there (here) but don't blink! You'll miss me going by. I went to Rock-hound Park, Billy's grave, Adobe Walls, North Zulch TX, and The Alamo..... all in a week! I will post their pics and a short video today. TTC

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
My first training out of Basic was to the Defense Language Institute studying the Vietnamese language for 47 weeks at Ft. Bliss, Tx - then off to more specific training at Goodfellow Air Force Base in San Angelo, Tx. for 5 months. So, I lived in Texas for a year and a half. I do remember us "outsiders" weren't really welcomed by the locals as competition for their womenfolk. I remember a brawl where Tony Talack (still alive) had the imprints of a chain on his forehead where he'd been popped.

Those cowboys liked us a lot.....

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you for sharing! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread