North Zulch TX

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I was 16, My twin (you knew him as TimC [RIP]) and I ran away to TX .... for a week. As we hitch hiked home, we came upon North Zulch, TX. NZ was already much declined when we were there.

Last Saturday, I re-visited the town.

I stopped at the only bar/restaurant in town to ask for info.
Bar.JPG

The only person eating in the place was Deborah. She is 66 and came to the town at 16, 3 years after we came through.
Deb.JPG

She remembers the wooden boardwalk, dirt street, and the café where Tim and I ate. But she said it was all gone. She pointed out the window and said, "Right there. It's all gone. Nothing left".
I drove to the spot and took a pic.
North.JPG
Up over the hood is THE STREET (looking north) and it is indeed ALL GONE. It is still dirt. On the right is where the café was. On the left of the street is where Tim and I bought cowboy hats.

I drove up that street and found a person on his porch.
Ed May.JPG

Ed May (I took a close-up but can't find it) was 26 when we visited before. He remembers the café well and said Miss Evans owned it back then. He also related that the two story building we would have bought our hats at was owned by George Taylor. All the commercial buildings have been torn down and only the gas station remains.... across the railroad tracks.
Gas.JPG

Ok, Tim, we said we would return, so let's go....
TTC

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Terry,

I am enjoying the adventures through your eyes...Thank you!

I too believe it's important to visit people from the past. For example, out of the blue I went to an old secretaries home last week for a visit after 35 years. The last time we spoke was in the Physics Department before her retirement. So good to see her again at 85+ years old and yes she was still the same..."sharp as a tack"!

Doc

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Terry,

I am enjoying the adventures through your eyes...Thank you!

I too believe it's important to visit people from the past. For example, out of the blue I went to an old secretaries home last week for a visit after 35 years. The last time we spoke was in the Physics Department before her retirement. So good to see her again at 85+ years old and yes she was still the same..."sharp as a tack"!

Doc
Yes, North Zulch is a special place. Those kind of gems are disappearing. TTC

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat old story. Around 1975 or 76 ?? I hitchhiked from Des Moines to the San Francisco Bay area. Funny how I remember just about every detail of that trip and the folks I came across along the way. I drive by a rest area these days, just east of Lovelock, NV where I slept the night and there was a small gas station there on the opposite side of I80 where I got a ride the next morning from an old fella from Helena Montana and he went by the nickname of Lefty, as he lost the three fingers on his right hand between his pinky and thumb in an oil rig accident. That old road stop is just a steel metal frame on a busted concrete slab with weeds growing out of every crack now. I guess those small road stops all went to the wayside after all the big massive truck stop and travel centers came to be. Memories can be some of the best places to take those little trip on at times.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Neat old story. Around 1975 or 76 ?? I hitchhiked from Des Moines to the San Francisco Bay area. Funny how I remember just about every detail of that trip and the folks I came across along the way. I drive by a rest area these days, just east of Lovelock, NV where I slept the night and there was a small gas station there on the opposite side of I80 where I got a ride the next morning from an old fella from Helena Montana and he went by the nickname of Lefty, as he lost the three fingers on his right hand between his pinky and thumb in an oil rig accident. That old road stop is just a steel metal frame on a busted concrete slab with weeds growing out of every crack now. I guess those small road stops all went to the wayside after all the big massive truck stop and travel centers came to be. Memories can be some of the best places to take those little trip on at times.
If only we knew back then the significance those places would have on us in our later years! I remember the officer that came to interview Tim and I after we returned home. Orville Champagne, who was a Sergeant by the time I became a Milwaukee cop. He asked where we went for a week. We told him Galveston, TX. He said, "No, really, where did you go?" We showed him the bus tickets all the way to Galveston. We still had $2.13 in our pockets. When I became a cop, I reminded him that he interviewed me. He did not remember me by name but remembered the interview. Again, That town is a very special place to me. I was told to check with the ladies that run the Madison County Museum, 14 miles up the road. They have LOTS of info and pictures of the old town. Many of them are from the local area and would remember the place. TTC

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks For Sharing These Stories and Pictures Terry!

Kace

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread