A painting of "Babe"

VanGone

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2007
A painting of "Babe"

Babe was my English Setter dog. She loved to hunt,but was somewhat rangy,meaning she would get out to far.She was a strong willed dog! We had to have her put to sleep due to her having Cancer. I still miss the ol girl. When I would take her in my truck she knew where we were going and brother would she get excited. I painted this picture years ago.I sold this painting but now wish I would have kept it.Thanks for looking.
Van

Attachments

• motivator7947488.jpg
    motivator7947488.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 420

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: A painting of "Babe"

That is a good painting of the hunt.
Sorry you lost your partner.

Fossis.................

OP
OP
V

VanGone

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2007

packerbacker said:
Nice painting. What medium?
Thank you for your comment.I paint everything in Acrylic. I like the fast drying time. I use tempered Masonite to paint on.I use Acrylics thinned down. I'm self taught so that's the way I do it. This picture is what my set up looks like.
Van

Attachments

• PC160059-1-Changed.jpg
    PC160059-1-Changed.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 389
OP
OP
V

VanGone

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2007

fossis said:
That is a good painting of the hunt.
Sorry you lost your partner.

Fossis.................
Thanks Fossis. She was a good ol dog. She drove my wife crazy,but I sure liked her.
Van

OP
OP
V

VanGone

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2007

CarolinaDigs said:
Van this is another lovely painting !!! Sorry to hear about Babe. Keep the paintings coming > love all your work !!!
Thank you for your nice comments Carolina.I still would still love to see more of your work.
Van

wesfrye53

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
Springfield, TN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202

Van,

That's a really good painting and thanks for showing us a picture of you at work! ;D

OP
OP
V

VanGone

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2007

wesfrye53 said:
Van,

That's a really good painting and thanks for showing us a picture of you at work! ;D
Thanks for your comments Wes.Yep that's my scary face,but I thought it was appropriate since its close to Halloween.
Van

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great painting of Babe. I like that pic of you too. My late MIL painted too, her speciality was magnolia flowers & strawberries.

OP
OP
V

VanGone

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2007

River Rat said:
Great painting of Babe. I like that pic of you too. My late MIL painted too, her speciality was magnolia flowers & strawberries.
Thanks for your comments RR. It would be nice to see some of your MIL work posted sometime if possible.
Van

Capt Jack

Sep 30, 2007
Mount Dora, FL
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE

Wow great picture I can feel the excitement of the dog flushing and staying on the point.
My compliments Iwould buy one of your painting I really like the chickadee's reminds me of sitting on deer stand and watching them for entertainment.

Thanks for sharing

OP
OP
V

VanGone

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2007

Crusty1 said:
Wow great picture I can feel the excitement of the dog flushing and staying on the point.
My compliments Iwould buy one of your painting I really like the chickadee's reminds me of sitting on deer stand and watching them for entertainment.

Thanks for sharing
Thanks for the nice comments Crusty1. I have never hunted Deer,but have heard stories about how the Chickadees will get very close to a person while there in a deer stand.Heres a Chickadee up close that To me is what you would have seen being in that Deer stand
Stay safe over there its a job that needs to be done. Our Son was stationed in Balad for a year at a army hospital,but is in the states now
Van

Attachments

• frame1132552.jpg
    frame1132552.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 264

Capt Jack

Sep 30, 2007
Mount Dora, FL
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE

Van you really captured the scene that I wittnessed so many times in Northern Wisconsin.
It brings back many wonderful memories of times spent in the woods, I really cherish those types of experiences more than the kill. Thank you for sharing you trully have a gift please keep it up.
I may have met your son in Balad spent all of '05 there and a few trips to the CSH when my guys got hurt. It's a small world.

OP
OP
V

VanGone

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2007

He was there at that time serving as an RN .He is going to anesthesia school now. He is still in the Army.And yes it is a small world. Speaking of Wisconsin. We use to vacation up at Minong near Hayward. That is some really pretty country.
Van

bean man

Sep 2, 2006
Central Iowa

That's what I like about those little guys. Sometimes, when your out in a snow storm, they'll be the only thing out besides you. And they seem to be saying, "Yea, it's storming". You are very talented Van. Thanks for sharing. Babe pointing, takes me back to my childhood. My dad was a big quail hunter and my grandpas farm was full of them. I was even seriously injured, when I got shot hunting Mr. Bob White. :-[

OP
OP
V

VanGone

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2007

bean man said:
That's what I like about those little guys. Sometimes, when your out in a snow storm, they'll be the only thing out besides you. And they seem to be saying, "Yea, it's storming". You are very talented Van. Thanks for sharing. Babe pointing, takes me back to my childhood. My dad was a big quail hunter and my grandpas farm was full of them. I was even seriously injured, when I got shot hunting Mr. Bob White. :-[
Thank you BM. They are my favorite little bird. Ive painted a lot of them over the years. You are right on them being out in a snow storm and not fazed by it. Sorry to hear that you got shot hunting Quail,hope it all worked out OK. If I'm correct your over near DesMoines and there is some great Quail hunting in that area SW of there.
Van

bean man

Sep 2, 2006
Central Iowa

Yes, I live in old WDM. Your right, southern Iowa still has some quail, but they've tore out a lot of that hedge cover that they thrived in. I caught most of the load of a 12 gauge high brassed 7 and 1/2's. I had my gun up and it saved me from getting hit in the eyes. I still carry some baggage about the whole deal because I was only 12 at the time, and ran ahead to get to get out of cover I couldn't shoot out of, after hearing quail ahead. I came to a little clearing, and flushed a huge covey. My dad, not knowing I was out of line, shot three quail and me. I'm not sure he ever fully recovered. :'(

OP
OP
V

VanGone

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2007

Bean Man that is a sad ordeal. I'm sure your Dad would have had a hard time with that.Luckily you didn't get hit in the eyes. Hunting accidents to me are always a sad event for both party's. You live in West DM Have you ever visited Maynard Reese's Gallery on Grand Ave.For those reading this that dont know who Maynard Reese is,well he is one of the best wildlife artist in the world. He won the federal Duck stamp contest 5 times. Worth about a million each time. Its been years since I was there at his gallary so it may not be there anymore. Most all of his original art was on display there. Really impressive. Makes this stuff I do look like it was painted with a floor broom.
Van

bean man

Sep 2, 2006
Central Iowa

Yes! It's on Ingersol Ave now, I think. His stuff doesn't make yours look like it was painted with a broom, but he is very good. I like the Whitetail artist from Ankeny, but I can't remember his name. ::)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread