Pirate-Age Treasure Coins 1600's-1700's!

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is some historic treasure coins I have been collecting a little box. I find the history of these coins far more interesting than their monetary value so I have written some of their historic descriptions below.

Pirate Treasure Chest.png

The gold coin is a 1772 1/2 Escudo from Spain, it was worth the same as a Spanish silver Piece of 8 and this standard would be the basis of the American Gold dollar coin later in the following century.

The big silver coin at the bottom far left is a 1696 English Silver Crown of King William III.

Fun Facts
1) It was struck from silver melted down from older English silver coins during the Great Re-coinage Act of 1696.

2)This act sought to remove the older hammered coins from circulation and replace them all with milled coins (which had patterned edging as a security feature) in the belief that this would help eliminate the cutting and shaving of coins by the public (it had limited success).

3)The 1696 Re-coinage act is the reason hammered English coins are so hard to find, they were recycled! :D

In the center is a big Spanish Piece of 8 from 1762 minted in Mexico, it features the double globes over a wave pattern which represented Spain's control over the sea, the New world, and the Old world (basically saying they control the entire world), this coin would be used as the basis of the
American silver dollar coin later in the century.

Fun facts:
1)To this day the American Stock Exchange still uses 1/8th-dollar denominations for the pricing of equities, this is because it was originally traded with Pieces of 8. The US Dollar sign likely originated from the pillar and sash next to the globes $oo$.

2)Spanish Pieces of 8 and their smaller denominations were legally recognized as US legal tender in the USA well into the middle of the 19th century and continued circulating well after that, many becoming smooth unrecognizable silver disks devoid of features.

On top of the 8 Reale is a Queen Anne silver 3 Pence from 1703 and a Spanish silver 1 Reale cob coin.

Below the Queen Anne 3 Pence is the quintessential pirate coin - a 1759 Spanish 'Pistareen' 2 Reale.

Fun facts:
1) If you were to cut the Pistareen coin according to the lines of the cross on it, it would make 4 equally sized pieces of silver worth 1/2 Reale each - which was the smallest and most widely used unit of silver currency. This was not the purpose of the cross but most examples of cut Spanish silver go by these lines, so people certainly were fond of exploiting it.

2) A 1/4 of a Pistareen was enough money to buy a pint of grog, this was likely why it was so often cut into quarters, that and to make quick change!

To the right of the Pistareen is a very special coin - a 1745 English 'Lima' Shilling which was made from plundered Spanish Treasure captured by British privateers during the War of the Spanish Succession.

Fun facts:
1) The entire history of the plundered 'Lima' treasure is not 100% known but it is believed to have originated from 2 treasure ships that were captured, the Louis Erasmus and the Marquis d'Antin. A story states how one of these ships had all its masts completely torn away by cannon fire and an English ship towed this captured prize all the way back to England using chains tied to its bow.

There are some other really nice coins in there as well, but I can only write so much about them. :D

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
Awesome little Treasure Chest!!!

OP
OP
UnderMiner

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome little Treasure Chest!!!

Thanks! I like using coins to help teach people about history, they learn better when they can physically see and touch it. :D

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice collection. Indeed I've seen these old silver coins priced rather reasonable in coin shops. I should start buying some myself.

namxat

Feb 2, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"o this day the American Stock Exchange still uses 1/8th-dollar denominations for the pricing of equities, this is because it was originally traded with Pieces of 8. The US Dollar sign likely originated from the pillar and sash next to the globes $oo$. "

It´s time that somebody brings this fun fact to life, thank you!

In the old days the pieces of eight would literally cut in half quarters and bits to make small money and change and I do remember at the beginning American Bankers to quote prices on the phone as like "face an´ two bits" which translates to 100.25%.

Taking an interst into monetary history: Dollar comes from Taler, the medival large silvercoins first stuck in Joachimsthal after a silver boom. Over time Taler came synomymous with every large silver coin.

After huge silver bonanzas in south america (inter alia the Cerro Rico), the spanish exportet 8 reales and cobs directly and the latter werequoted in North America as "Spanish dollars". They remained (at least secondary) legal tender until 1857 in the US.

Greets Namxat

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Cool treasure of goodies! :occasion14:

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post underminer......and a beautiful collection!!

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s Awesome!!! The insight and stories behind the coins themselves is Incredible. Even Tokens!! Thanks for sharing!!!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely amazing Ill never find anything even close to those I respect what you use those for your a good man and you have those for a reason Great post my friend and keep it up.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread