Wild Burros at Burro Creek

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's one I took yesterday....
TTC

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dave, I believe these donkeys have been here for a long time. Many place names around there are attributed to them. Of course, I don't knowhow long and maybe some have been added by the BLM. TTC

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There were a lot back in the 90s ish. Didn't seem too skittish. If you got some carrots & celery, they'll watch your car for you! They're a little rough on the rearviews though. Did you / are you stopping in Nothing? Anyone living there again?

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great videos Terry, didn't realize there were that many wild burros out there.

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There were a lot back in the 90s ish. Didn't seem too skittish. If you got some carrots & celery, they'll watch your car for you! They're a little rough on the rearviews though. Did you / are you stopping in Nothing? Anyone living there again?
NOTHING in Nothing except the one building/store. I don't know what it looked like back in the 90s but the area in front of the building is kinda a rest stop. Truckers stop there often to rest. No other buildings that I know of. TTC

azdave

Dec 12, 2014
southern AZ
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
BLM has been releasing/transplanting a LOT of Burro's. They've even put two herds in the Picacho Mtn's near me... which is an area that has NEVER had Burro's before. The ranchers aren't real pleased that now their cattle compete for limited graze.
In Florence, BLM has huge corrals full of Burro's and an adoption center. They picked that location for the cheap labor and "therapeutic" benefit(state prison inmates).

A few decades ago, about the only area where actual "wild" Burro's existed in the state was Mojave County, and more specifically the Oatman/Black Mtn area. Some were found in the west side of the Hualapai's and into the Mojave Mtn's west of Havasu as well. Burro Creek area.... despite the name.... has never had any long standing herds roaming in the past that I knew of.... but I'd bet money the canyon was used like a highway for prospector's heading between the McCracken, Cedar, Signal, Bagdad etc with a Burro in tow back in the day.
The "wild" ones we have were never indigenous, but one's released/lost from prospector's in the late 1800's & early 1900's. Now the fed's are rounding them up in Nevada and dumping them here for release/adoption because it's not politically correct to turn them into soap anymore8-)
Burro Creek area and the Arrastra Mtn Wilderness use to be one of my favorite areas.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you for sharing! :occasion14:

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
BLM has been releasing/transplanting a LOT of Burro's. They've even put two herds in the Picacho Mtn's near me... which is an area that has NEVER had Burro's before. The ranchers aren't real pleased that now their cattle compete for limited graze.
In Florence, BLM has huge corrals full of Burro's and an adoption center. They picked that location for the cheap labor and "therapeutic" benefit(state prison inmates).
A few decades ago, about the only area where actual "wild" Burro's existed in the state was Mojave County, and more specifically the Oatman/Black Mtn area. Some were found in the west side of the Hualapai's and into the Mojave Mtn's west of Havasu as well.
They were never indigenous, but one's released/lost from prospector's in the late 1800's & early 1900's. Now the fed's are rounding them up in Nevada and dumping them here for release/adoption because it's not politically correct to turn them into soap anymore8-)
Burro Creek area and the Arrastra Mtn Wilderness use to be one of my favorite areas.
Tnx for the update, Dave. Very informative. Adds new depth to the sightings (some look like "asses" that served drinks at the Golden Nugget in Vegas). TTC

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Back in the 1970's, early 80's my family used to go to
Cottonwood Cove, which sits on the Nevada side of the
Colorado River. We'd load all our camping gear in the boat,
and then go upriver 4-5 miles and camp out in one of the
deep coves on the Arizona side.

Burro's were everywhere back then, and they would frequently
come down to the river at night to drink. A few times they came
right through our camp, not paying us the slightest bit of attention.

My older sister went out to find them one day (she was about 14)
and ran into a small family group. That Jack got pissed, and chased
her all the way back to our camp..:laughing7:

Moral: Don't mess with wild burros...they'll kick your arse..:occasion14:

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NOTHING in Nothing except the one building/store. I don't know what it looked like back in the 90s but the area in front of the building is kinda a rest stop. Truckers stop there often to rest. No other buildings that I know of. TTC

Can't get the pic of the last (according to the guy) bumper sticker to load. I always wanted to go swing out behind the building. One trip I pulled off to snooze and one of the guys kept going out the back & over the little hill. Only problem is remembering to pack the gaiters! They had a "zoo" that consisted of a bunch of rattlers, a couple Gila Monsters, and a couple coyotes. I sincerely think the rattlers there are descendants of those. Did you get any agates down by the bridge? Go downstream it looks like it peters out but just past that it picks up & there's some nice material there. I'll try to figure out how to UL the bumper sticker. Fun area! Everyone just blows by without noticing anything.

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Boogeyman, There is a better place for agate. MM 12.2 on Burro Creek Crossing Rd.

You can load 50 dump trucks of agate here and not dent the potential amount! TTC

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here is some more agate pics. I could barely move the rock my foot is on. It weighs over 100 pounds.
DSC00510.JPG

The one with the beer bottle next to it (I left the bottle there for size comparison) probably weighs more than 800/900 pounds. That is a BIG piece of agate!
DSC00515.JPG TTC

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OOPS, sorry. THIS rock is the 100 pound plus agate rock. (difficult to see the shoe in the thumbnails on my desktop).
DSC00512.JPG TTC

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome videos Terry! Wish I was there. I clicked on the post cause I had read it as wild Burritos?? Lol!

Last edited:

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boogeyman, There is a better place for agate. MM 12.2 on Burro Creek Crossing Rd.

You can load 50 dump trucks of agate here and not dent the potential amount! TTC
Cool! Thanks for the spot!! Now I can go drag back another load. I swear everyone in the neighborhood had some in their gardens. That strip is one of those that I'd like to go through as a passenger & see what all I missed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions