clarkston,wa.

Attachments

• Great Blue Heron 10-9-07.JPG
    Great Blue Heron 10-9-07.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 146

VanGone

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2007
Excellent shots JD. What camera and lens are you using to get that close?
I just have a small camera with a 10x optical zoom,but want to up date to a SLR Digital.Any close ups I get are from my backyard and having the birds get use to me being there.

Van

OP
OP
junkdigger

junkdigger

Sep 15, 2004
clarkston,wa.
Vangone, I am using a Canon EOS 40D body with a Televue TV85 refractor telescope attached,and a Powermate 2 power lens between the two. It's on a Gitzo carbon fiber tripod. No fun to carry! I don't recommend it because it is not practical.(But I did it,no excuses! ???)
A better choice would be this camera body with a Canon 100-400mm zoom lens. The bad news...camera body is $1300,and the zoom lens is $1400 or so. And you will need a tripod or at least a monopod. I have this zoom lens and a monopod,and can carry it as far as I want to go. And some of my best photos were taken with it.
I'm using the telescope because birds are terrified of me,even though I try to move quietly and slowly.

Thor!

Aug 30, 2005
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
1280X & Sovereign
Nice pic , They use to be an "oh look" here on the cape but they seem to be multipling I saw three on tuesday while coming down the pond from the ocean. They use to scare me half to death when I was younger. They would sit on our beach at night in the dark and when you walked down the boat ramp and got close they would take off and let out the most dreadful squawk. It would get me every time!

OP
OP
junkdigger

junkdigger

Sep 15, 2004
clarkston,wa.
Thor,same thing here. They were a rare sight once,but are doing quite well now. Here is a nest full taken last spring,same area.

Attachments

• Heron chicks 2.JPG
    Heron chicks 2.JPG
    129.8 KB · Views: 109

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread