Shades Of Death Road

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Shades Of Death Road is a two-lane rural road of about 7 miles in length in central Warren County, New Jersey.

It is said, the local populace would take revenge against these highwaymen by lynching them and leaving the bodies dangling from low-hanging tree branches as a warning to others criminally inclined
In the 1920s and 1930s there were three brutal murders along the road, one a robbery in which a man was hit over the head with a tire jack over some gold coins, a second in which a woman beheaded her husband and buried the head and the body on different sides of the street, and lastly one in which a local resident, Bill Cummins, was shot and buried in a mudpile. It was never solved.

Attachments

• Shades_of_Death_Road_sign_south.jpg
    Shades_of_Death_Road_sign_south.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 1,397

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Creepy... and kinda cool!

I once heard there was a Gypsy that wandered around treasure-net posting scarry stories... :o

CarolinaDigs

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
North Carolina
Gypsy > do people live on this road ?? It has to be loaded with bad vibes ??? I always enjoy reading your post ! You come up with the most interesting subjects :)

OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
CarolinaDigs said:
Gypsy > do people live on this road ?? It has to be loaded with bad vibes ??? I always enjoy reading your post ! You come up with the most interesting subjects :)

No Hon...I live just down the road a bit...... :)

Attachments

• Newjersey to Wisconsin.GIF
    Newjersey to Wisconsin.GIF
    32.4 KB · Views: 983

wesfrye53

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
Springfield, TN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202
Since it's "just down the road" Gypsy, the next time you're there look around for some "mandrake" or "ginseng"!

The mandrake plant often has bifurcated roots, which (as in the case of ginseng), has historically caused it to be identified with the human body and figure. It was a common belief in some countries that a mandrake plant would grow in the shadow of a gallows, where the semen of a hanged man dripped on to the earth;

wesfrye53

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
Springfield, TN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202
And BTW...on your next little jaunt to Shades of Death Road, you can swing by my house and I'll point ya up the road about 10 miles to Adams, Tennessee (since it's on your way).

Bell Witch.jpg

This photograph was taken and submitted by Chris Kirby, one of the owners of the Bell Witch Cave near Adams, Tennessee. The cave and the Bell farm has had a very long history of hauntings and strange activity. The story of the haunting at the farm and cave can be found in Troy Taylor's book Season of the Witch.

The photo that appears above was taken near a sinkhole on the Kirby's farm that leads down into the depths of the haunted cave. The cave itself, while formed by water from limestone, is what is referred to by geologists as a "dry cave". This means that the cave, except for during flood seasons, remains relatively dry and does not have the common cave features that are formed by water like stalactites and stalagmites. I mention this to dispel the idea that this might be some kind of mist of wet fog that is emerging from the cave via the sinkhole. Many debunkers, who are ignorant and uninformed of the area and the cave's geology, have tried to dismiss this as mere fog.

This image could not be seen by the naked eye when the photo was taken. Some have suggested that they can see the image of a face inside of the ectoplasmic-like cloud but regardless the source of the "mist" remains unexplained. In 1997, the photo was submitted to the Kodak Laboratories and they had no explanation for it and could find nothing wrong with the film, negative or print that would debunk this image.

justine093

May 3, 2006
berks, PA
the bell witch...that's a great story.

I know all about shades of death road...
I read weird new jersey.
(gypsy, if you haven't yet, you should definately
pick up the print magazine...history and weirdness
all rolled into one!)
http://www.weirdnj.com/stories/_roads05.asp

up here in pa., we have a replica of
Stokesay castle on a lovely little road called
"spook lane"
we also have a "witchcraft road"
and a "hexenkopf road" (witchhead road).

wesfrye53

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
Springfield, TN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202
Gypsy,

please forgive me if I end up redirecting your Post...just giving you something else to "research" to try and make you forget about my ham. ::)

OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Well its hard not to think about that ham...but I hope everyone posts their spooky road stories here.....I love the Bell witch one

Tykit

Jan 20, 2007
Middlesex, New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Tesoro, Fisher
I lived about a mile from Shades Of Death Road

Built a new home on Asbury Rd., 1/2 mile north of Hackettstown, off Rt. 46. Moved out of the area in 1985, haven't been back since. Found some nice old coins at old church yards in that area.

Christ_in_you

Sep 14, 2007
"Cellar of pain" This cellar was used during the Civil War. Certain scouts for the Union Fell Prey to unthinkable torture leading to the Confederates taking the high ground at the Battle of Prairie Grove. Their faces linger aimlessly still today.

Attachments

• pictures 059.jpg
    pictures 059.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 12,392

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
mayport fla haunted house -- seems that long ago a wealthy older seafaring capt married a lovely young local lass -- the old capts ship was lost at sea on the first trip after the wedding and after "the minimum" proper six months of him being "overdue"-- the young widow hooked up with a young stud -- (word was she had him as a lover on the side) well it seems that the old salt capt was found alive on a small barren island close by-- told his rescuers that the thought of his lovely bride helped keep him going --- the ship was bound for mayport so no "advance" warning was sent -- they arrived in the evening rather late -- so the old salt went to "HIS" home and went in --- then he heard the sounds of love making --so he got an ax and went to the bedroom and killed both the wife and her lover in a fit of rage hacking them to bits -- he then went to the "widows" walk and hung himself -- the house was a lovely looking home but the heirs that got it would not live in it --they often rented it out cheaply but required a 6 month lease -- unknowing folks happily signed it -- promptly moving after the first week the owners cleaned up (they just kept re leasing it over and over geting six months rent each couple of months off of unknowing folks)-- during the day all was well but at night the house took on a differant air altogether -- I lived in the place for about 2 weeks as a young kid man the freakish stuff that happened was beyond belief ---seems the "old salt" wanted "no one else" living in HIS home and he made it very clear (might have something to do with the other guy lining there?)--yep my folks were one of the tricked folks -- its now a "day time only" office type place --since the "word" finally got out on the place and how things acted up at night so bad that no one would move in at any price --- Ivan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread