Ancient Fish

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
d2 must have eaten them as we caught a smallish one once(the big ones would probably be muddy tasting) and cooked it up. It was clean and white, but the texture was like cotton. Not flaky or even tough, just kind of fluffed up in your mouth. They get real big in Florida. I have seen them 3 feet long in the canals in the Everglades. Caught a few that were at least 2- 2 1/2 feet long and they do fight! They jump and pull almost like a salt water fish. Fossis, thanks for the pic, Steve.

Mike Silver -gold

Dec 28, 2006
Detector(s) used
DFX - 1280 Excal.-1000
Here in NY I,ve seen a lot of fish like That. They are caught in the Strayberry island area of the Niagara river. I do believe they are preastoric. They are about the same size,but they have long nasty looking teeth. We call them dog fish. They are considered to be a not edable fish. Mike

Digginman

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Stephens City, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Treasure Ace250 Tesoro Cibola
Great fish, fossis. I have caught a few of those. If you look up bowfin in the dictionary, the definition is "freshwater shark". They are a great sport fish. They are prehistoric, haven't changed in millions of years. They have no backbone, either.

DM

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting fish...don't think I want to eat any.

;) RR

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions