Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice pic were you able to get really close or do you have an awesome Camera Great shot

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice pic were you able to get really close or do you have an awesome Camera Great shot
It's a little super-zoom pocket size panasonic zs40. It was acting up and I wouldn't be surprised I've clicked the shutter ten thousand times, but I inserted paper in the lens tube extensions and I think I cleared some dirt out that would cause it to stick half way out and then announce an error and shut off. It's definitely getting a bit jenky, but still managing to capture a decent shot as long as it keeps going.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice close up. You can see the rust colored ticking on his breast. You never see that at a distance. Red Tails are our largest and one of the most widely distributed hawk. Gary

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice close up. You can see the rust colored ticking on his breast. You never see that at a distance. Red Tails are our largest and one of the most widely distributed hawk. Gary
We sure have a lot of them around here. Thank God the public wised up on the use of DDT. That pesticide just about whipped out a few species of raptors. I don't think there's a day now when I'm outdoors that I won't see a raptor of some kind.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We sure have a lot of them around here. Thank God the public wised up on the use of DDT. That pesticide just about whipped out a few species of raptors. I don't think there's a day now when I'm outdoors that I won't see a raptor of some kind.

DDT but also hunters. I'm 66, and my generation was the first to not shoot hawks on sight. The generation before me was more rural, and many had chickens. All hawks became "chicken hawks" and were shot on sight. It was legal to shoot hawks and owls up to around 1959. Now, they're not shot and we have lots of them. More than I ever saw when I was a kid. Now, though, the pheasants are in decline. Too many hawks! Gary

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DDT but also hunters. I'm 66, and my generation was the first to not shoot hawks on sight. The generation before me was more rural, and many had chickens. All hawks became "chicken hawks" and were shot on sight. It was legal to shoot hawks and owls up to around 1959. Now, they're not shot and we have lots of them. More than I ever saw when I was a kid. Now, though, the pheasants are in decline. Too many hawks! Gary
I stopped a red tail hawk from taking one of my neighbors chickens. The hawk was blocking 3 of the hens in a corner of the fence ready to pick one out.

Last edited:

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
A majestic looking creature! Great photo!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread