Homemade Bird Feeder

junkdigger

Sep 15, 2004
clarkston,wa.
It rained all day,so I made a new bird feeder. I worried about the seeds getting wet this winter,and I worried about all that seed the birds dropped in the grass. That stuff is hard to clean up! So I mulled over this idea for a few months,then went to the hardware store and bought a Rubbermaid garbage can with a domed lid. I cut it down and screwed it back together,and put a hopper feeder in too. The post goes through holes I cut in the hopper. I put a filler hole with a plug on top to fill the hopper. Got it done at dusk. Hope the birds find it tomorrow!

Attachments

• Homemade Bird Feeder.jpg
    Homemade Bird Feeder.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 267

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is amazing what some folks think up..That is one heck of a good looking bird feeder. I think I am inventive impaired..heck..I can't even read instructions much less think up instructions...Great job.

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really neat...just think not only the seeds will stay dry, looks like the birds will have a nice little pavilion to get under out of the rain.

;) RR

VanGone

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2007
Very creative idea. You should do an article for Birds and Blooms magazine on how to make one of them. Pretty darn neat I would say. And yes the birds will find it.
Van

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
brilliant 8)

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
I love the feeder, very creative! I was also thinking it would be a shame for the squirrels to chew it up. I'm pretty sure they can climb that pole, if not they can hop right up there from the bird bath. ;)

alwayslookin

Sep 30, 2004
Indy
The Squirrels will climb it...I put axle grease on mine in the winter. Rub it down good about every other week...then sit back and watch them try and climb. Funniest thing there is...

Dave

OP
OP
junkdigger

junkdigger

Sep 15, 2004
clarkston,wa.
We do have squirrels here,and I'll watch for them. Will grease the pole if they try it!
But it's after noon now,and no birds yet ???

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
That is a great bird feeder. If I was a bird, it would be a pleasure to eat there. Eating dry food and staying dry too. What else more could they ask for.

Copperhead

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2007
The Constituition State
Detector(s) used
Ace250
VanGone said:
Very creative idea. You should do an article for Birds and Blooms magazine on how to make one of them. Pretty darn neat I would say. And yes the birds will find it.
Van

I agree....Cool feeder....wouldn't mind seeing a more detailed pic of it....nice job

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread