fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Intresting post, I have not been to 'Nebraska', it's on my to go to list someday.
The explorer 'Bonneville' helped map part of the Oregon trail, later Fremont claimed the honor, Bonneville discovered many areas of the west, (Bonneville salt flats) was named for him, as well as 'Bonneville dam', & others.
He was an early soldier, explorer, eventually buying land in the city of Ft. Smith AR.
It is said a young officer by the name of Robert E Lee dragged a wounded Bonneville from harms way in the Florida indian wars.

Fossis.............

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the pic my grandparents came from Nebraska.They moved to Las Vegas to work on Boulder (Hoover) Dam. :) aa

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes you have to stop and take a close look to see what the prairie has to offer. Did you get to check any of the site out yet? The Pioneers realized on the way that they could not take every thing they put in the wagons and would leave items behind. Hope you find some good artifacts. HH
Burdie

OP
OP
eagle77

eagle77

Jan 23, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, 3300, XTerra 70
fossis said:
Intresting post, I have not been to 'Nebraska', it's on my to go to list someday.
The explorer 'Bonneville' helped map part of the Oregon trail, later Fremont claimed the honor, Bonneville discovered many areas of the west, (Bonneville salt flats) was named for him, as well as 'Bonneville dam', & others.
He was an early soldier, explorer, eventually buying land in the city of Ft. Smith AR.
It is said a young officer by the name of Robert E Lee dragged a wounded Bonneville from harms way in the Florida indian wars.

Fossis.............

I found a digital map online of 'Fremont's" expedition, they followed the north side Blue River in Nebraska. That is another project down the road ;).

OP
OP
eagle77

eagle77

Jan 23, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Burdie said:
Sometimes you have to stop and take a close look to see what the prairie has to offer. Did you get to check any of the site out yet? The Pioneers realized on the way that they could not take every thing they put in the wagons and would leave items behind. Hope you find some good artifacts. HH
Burdie

I random hit the area. All I found was mostly post 1940's iron & barb wire. I disagree with the locals on it's location. The dry creek bed to the hill edges is not big enough to accommodate 10 - 20 wagons per day INMHO. In the far right photo is a small embankment, they claim that is where it is at, however it is far too steep and narrow. I can't even use a 4x4 to drive in that spot.

There is a spot about 1/2 mile to the south that is a promising location. It has gradual slopes and is wider to easily accommodate the traffic that the trail claimed to support. So far, I have located 4 potential spots, 2 of which I have permission to hunt. I am trying to track down the owner of the others.

There are 2 other large campsites within 25 miles. I found diary references to one and was able to locate it very easily, a church sits on the site now. I was told that positively no way could I hunt the spot :'(.

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Blue river. I took a history course in college that an Instructor read from a diary about the oregon trail. A little girl describes three men trying to land a catfish that was longer than any of the three men on the Blue river. I doubt you could find fish that size on the Blue river now. I don't remember mush about that class but I never forgot the story.
Burdie

OP
OP
eagle77

eagle77

Jan 23, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Don't know about the Blue around here, all I ever see is around the 7 pound range.

I had an old timer tell me that along the Republican River there are still big cats.
The Platte dries up in the summer.
The Niobrara and Dismal Rivers usually run year round.

But from what the old timers claimed it is possible to find big cats back then. I recall seeing an old photograph
of a bunch of 20 pounders (?) on a stringer around the 1930's era that was caught on the Blue river.

bedpanmoneyman

Jun 17, 2007
Lebanon, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Thanks for the picture eagle. It brought back memories of when I took the family out west (one of many times) and 20 years ago we followed the Oregon Trail through Nebraska and Wyoming.

BPMM

steve71

Bronze Member
May 9, 2007
TX
i went to cozad a couple days before.any creeks in your area look for them arrowheads.

OP
OP
eagle77

eagle77

Jan 23, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
There's places to arrowhead hunt, but they are closely guarded secrets. Most of the area is farmground. But if one knows that area and connections, one can always find a few places.

Timberwolf

Silver Member
Sep 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Eagle II SL90/Eagle Spectrum/TF-900
Hey Eagle,

I have been to Fremont several times. Nebraska is probably a little too cold for my liking in the winter, but it's really nice in the summer :)

Timberwolf

Buck

Jun 30, 2003
arizona
i used to live in western nebr about 20 years back then moved to az. all of my family is still there but it is too COLD back there in the winter there of lot of history in Nebr. Did enjoy the Photos got more???? Buck

steve71

Bronze Member
May 9, 2007
TX
Timberwolf said:
Hey Eagle,

I have been to Fremont several times. Nebraska is probably a little too cold for my liking in the winter, but it's really nice in the summer :)

Timberwolf
OKLA, thats just as cold,i like it here with no snow and hardly ever a freeze.

Timberwolf

Silver Member
Sep 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Eagle II SL90/Eagle Spectrum/TF-900
steve71 said:
Timberwolf said:
Hey Eagle,

Timberwolf
OKLA, thats just as cold,i like it here with no snow and hardly ever a freeze.

Hi Steve,

Are you in southern Texas?
Seems like the climate would be pretty good down there.

TW

OP
OP
eagle77

eagle77

Jan 23, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
It's only about 3-4 months of 'real' cold here. Monday was probably my last day to hunt and it was only about 15 minutes worth. I noticed the ground temp had really dropped since the prior week.

As far as more pics. I'll work on that. Around Xmas I'll be spending Christmas at mom's in the north central part of the state. The prairie is even more beautiful up there in the Sandhills. Now talk about cold...up there it's cold. But the old wood stove cranks out some heat ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread