pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Over the weekend I was visiting a new place being established with organic gardens, cultural center.
The young lady said "Oh look!"
There was this lovely smooth Green Snake trying it's best to gain some traction on the concrete floor.
Never seen one before, so cool!
Made my day.
20210710_131223.jpg

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow...how beautiful !!:occasion14:

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gorgeous snake. How long was it?

I can remember standing in the middle of and looking at a day old concrete slab. All of a sudden I hear "Splat!!" It was a green snake like yours that had fallen out of a tree and landed 4' from me.
Needless to say he/she was not happy and was acting defensive as it slithered away. This was the only time I've seen a green snake do defensive striking, even when I caught them as a kid. They are one of the most docile snakes I have ever handled.

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pepperj Thanks for sharing..I’ve never seen a snake that nice color..It must be hard to spot in grass

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome color.
Mr Google says... The Smooth Greensnake is a bright emerald green colour with a creamy white or yellowish belly. The dorsal scales of this species are smooth, and it has a divided anal plate. Hatchlings are blue-grey to dark green at birth. This snake can grow to 79 cm in length but most adults are less than 50 cm.

outlaws15

Jul 1, 2020
Missouri
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great pic.
Just throwing this out there from memory and wondering if I got it correct.
I've never seen or handled one that wasn't glad to be handled, so to speak. Then there is the green vine snake that isn't so nice.
As a comparison a hog nose that strikes is like a green snake that is not docile.
Do I have the right snake hog nose. I've only seen and handled one and it just got defensive and rolled over when I picked it up to move it out of way of mower

I can remember standing in the middle of and looking at a day old concrete slab. All of a sudden I hear "Splat!!" It was a green snake like yours that had fallen out of a tree and landed 4' from me.
Needless to say he/she was not happy and was acting defensive as it slithered away. This was the only time I've seen a green snake do defensive striking, even when I caught them as a kid. They are one of the most docile snakes I have ever handled.

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Length sounds about right, 2-3' in length.

Those hog nose snakes are a neat ones also. They have multiple defenses.

First line of defense is their coloring and shape which somewhat resembles a rattler. When threatened they will widen their head at the jaws and shake their tail mimicking a rattler as well. If that doesn't work they roll on their backs and play dead. Even if you roll them over they keep rolling onto their backs like an opossum. This part is kind of funny to watch. When all else fails they will empty their stomach on you. Bleh!!

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

I would say a tad over a 1.5ft long in length. They're probably everywhere but are just elusive, because of the colour.

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
pepperj Thanks for sharing..I’ve never seen a snake that nice color..It must be hard to spot in grass

THat's right it was a bit difficult to spot again once it started to power it's left through the grass. We stopped the ATV that was arriving at the centre to make sure they didn't run over it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread