My first attempt at a pic. of the moon with my new camera

MetalFury

May 25, 2006
New Jersey
I got a new digital camera for Christmas...an Olympus Evolt -E 410. It's my first really nice camera...10 megapixels...came with 2 lenses. I've always wanted to get a good pic. of the moon so about 1 1/2 weeks ago I gave it a shot. I tried all kinds of different settings with the shutter, aperature, white balance...all kinds of things. This was what I got with the zoom lens...I think it came out pretty decent, I just gotta get one a little less blurry...

Attachments

• P1160307resize.jpg
    P1160307resize.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 303

Tricia

Mar 5, 2007
Pretty good for your first attempt. You'll love how much the craters come into focus so you can see the definition clearly.

imafishingnutt

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2007
Superior Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Tesoro, Whites DFX, Nokta Impact Pro, Ace 400.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
here is the best moon pic i ever shot.
except its not the moon its a rain drop on my lense....lol

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 222
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 225

imafishingnutt

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2007
Superior Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Tesoro, Whites DFX, Nokta Impact Pro, Ace 400.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
arrrrr
please remove the moon its detail is to great for me to bare
please you must remove befor its too late....

ARRRRRRRRRwwwooooooooooooooooooo

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 340

TN-Joe

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
Tn
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA500
Nice shot. Now you can really "Moon" someone.
Tenn. Joe

Ray in CA

Oct 11, 2007
Quincy, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari with SEF 8x6; coming soon: FORS Gold+
MF,

I hope you don't mind but here's a couple tips for a good moon shot. Your moon picture is blurry because you're not using a fast enough shutter speed. Keep in mind that the moon is reflecting the sun's light, and so you need to set up your camera as if you are taking a day shot, not a night shot. If you're just shooting the moon alone, try a shutter speed of 250 and an aperture of f/8. If it is too dark, open up the aperture up a tad (a larger f number); if it is too light, lower the aperture a tad (a smaller f number).

Also, never try to take a moon shot without a tripod and a cable release. If you don't have a cable release, then set your camera to automatic timer. Focus on the moon, press the shutter button, and in about 10 seconds the shutter will fire on its own. But again, don't shoot the moon without a sturdy tripod as camera shake will occur, and thus another blurry picture.

Also, try to get something in the foreground or background to give the moon some scale, and to make it a bit more interesting. I've posted this before, but below is one of my favorite moon shots that I've taken. This is actually a composite photograph from my digital camera–one exposure was made for the moon and the other exposure was made for the street lights, and then both were combined in photoshop.

Now go practice some moon shots and show us what you can do! :)

Ray

Attachments

• moon&streetlights.jpg
    moon&streetlights.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 155
  • moon&streetlights.jpg
    moon&streetlights.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 159

Gringo

Jun 8, 2006
TCI
Detector(s) used
MineLab Excalibur 1000, White's Pro
Good stuff. I take thousands of photos, myself. Have several digital cameras.

I have a question about photoshopping stuff. I use a similar program to adjust contrast and cut haze in photos. At what point doesn a photograph become a graphic when you start photoshopping it? I am thinking that as long as you don't move pixels around, it's still a photograph. But once you move some pixels from one place to another, its no longer really a photograph, now is it? It's a graphic. Artwork. Created by man, instead of being a recording of reality.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread