d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
They are feral hogs. Tame at one time but released to fend for themselves. This one had a lot of Russian hog in him. Thats why his hair is standing up so far and his face is longer than normal and he is as short coupled as he is. People started buying them and turning them loose so they would have something to hunt in the summer time and it has gotten out of hand. Now we have some hogs that are 100% russian because the were turned loose also. The russian's usually dont run far and stop and start killing dogs. Also if you slip up on one while in the woods and scare him he is just as apt to charge you as he is to run the other way. We are supposed to hunt today. If we do I will post more pictures. The pictures will be tasteful and informative. Dont want folks that dont know mad at me...d2

Wicked Wanda

Feb 29, 2008
Apple Valley, CA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Ace 250 , & Pro Pointer
Good grief my mouth is watering.....YUMM YUUMMM! Nothing better than catching you own grub. I come from AZ were the javalena is an ornery little cuss also, but good over an open fire on a nice little spit. Thanks for sharing....this I enjoy also...HH....both with gun and MD. :thumbsup:

E59

Feb 28, 2005
On the river bank
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow, where the heck are you from? I'm in Iowa and I've never seen a wild hog. My family has a large free range hog operation for Niman Ranch. I've been eating the best of the best pork for 15 years. When you get used to the prime meat and then you go to pizza hut or another restaurant and eat pork it tastes really bad. Often those places use boar meat or hog with ruptures in their food.
I think if you butcher a wild sow it would taste fine. It's the boar that tastes skunky. Even if you use a boar it would still be ok in sausage. Congrats on your capture, what fun!

Oh yeah, my father-in-law used to raise Tamworth, that hog looks a little like them. They were the meanest little boogers!

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like the making of a guided hunting preserve!

I know guys that spend big bucks to bowhunt piggies.

Yeti

Mar 22, 2005
Missouri/ Kansas
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE/ Explorer XS/ White's Eagle II sl
You want to eat him.

It will have a REAL strong boar taste. Male pigs that has had sex will have a real strong taste. That is why males pigs are castorated when they are young, unless you are using them for beading stock.

bean man

Sep 2, 2006
Central Iowa
Hogs like that really thick cover, and sometimes the only way through it, is crawling in their tunnels. :o Now there's a sport for you. Preferred equipment, 44 mag, and a couple of big brass ones. :)

OP
OP
d2

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There is a lady that lives north of me that I have never met. But I hear the same stories from different people and she does the same thing. Crawls in the thickets when the dogs bay them and sticks them with the knife here Dad and Grampaw used.
And if I remember right she is a lawyer. I didint make the hog hunt yesterday I went metal detecting. The got 3 shoats. When I went to check my pens this morning I didnt have have anything here at the house but one of the others had 2 sows and about 200 :o little ones at the pen. I scared 'em and they ran off. I backed away so maybe they will be in there in the morning...d2

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
we are having problems with hogs here in south TX this year we have already taken 9 off this year and everyones fields are torn up.

I grew up in the country and hunt and consider myself a tough girl. Well a couple years ago I got invited to go on a hog hunt at night. I was really excited because we would be using dogs and would be on horseback, and I had never hunted off horseback before, so I thought this will be really cool. I show up, unload my self grab my gun out of my truck and my buddies were standing there laughing. They told they don't hunt with guns, and handed me a long knife sword looking thing. I started laughing until I realized they were serious. I have been treed by a javelina before so I have great respect when it comes to snarling, snapping, p!ssed off animals, that no way not in this life time am I going to to depend on a couple dogs pinning the hog for me while I run up and stab it. Well I went along for the ride so to speak and lucky for me we found no hogs that night.

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Many years ago we used to lease hunting properties in California. One of the ranches was up in Paso Robles.
We used it for deer and wild pigs. The two brothers who owned the property used to hunt their corn fields at night with flashlights and spears. :o Never saw it myself, but a number of my partners said it was so.

Not sure I would ever have done that.......at any age.

Joe Ribaudo

silverswede

Dec 12, 2005
Pinehurst. Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab SOVEREIGN XS-2a PRO
This has got to be an facinating and educational topic. I've never lived in hog country so most of this is new info for me but I am a dedicated carnivore thats eats what he shoots and sometimes traps. Such a surplus of pork in so many places. Now you've told about the quality of meat on Boars versus Sows, but could you fill me in on the little fellers, say about 20 or so pounds. Would'nt one or two of them slow roasted on a spit with an apple in it's mouth be quite tasty? Are they considered game animals and regulated with limits and seasons?

OP
OP
d2

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hogs here are considerd a pestilence. No seasons and you dont even have to have a license to hunt them. And the 20 pounders work good for cooking likeyou are talking about...d2

SouthArk

Mar 23, 2005
South-Central Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Detector Pro Pirate, Troy Shadow X-5, Fisher F75
d2,

That critter looks like he'd try to take a leg off ya if you got too close to him. Do you need to me to herd more of 'em down your way...... looks like those you got down there have done some massive inbreeding.... that's one UGLY boar!

By the way, Mr. Wiggins looks like he wants a piece of that hog!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread