Backyard Snapper

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back in the 90's we had a Toy Fox Terrier and my wife used to walk the dog in the woods across from our little pond. To do so she and the dog had to cross the little dam breast to get to the other side. well, one morning I heard a scream, I ran outside, as I was just about ready to leave for work, when she was waving her arms wildly for me to come down to the dam breast.

She said a big turtle just tried to take a hunk out of our dog, I looked in the shallow water below the dam breast and there she was. My wife said the turtle was along the edge of the waterfall right next to the dam breast and was in easy striking distance of either her or the dog and evidently took exception to our dog sniffing too close! :o This female has been laying eggs on our property for many years, I think even now, almost 16 years or so later, a Snapper about the same size as this one, still every May or June lays eggs on my property or at least tries to, but sometimes she digs a bit and never lays here.

Again, a current digital photo of an old photograph. :)

Don

Attachments

• Yikes.jpg
    Yikes.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 253
  • Snapper.jpg
    Snapper.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 230

Digginman

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Stephens City, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Treasure Ace250 Tesoro Cibola
I am fascinated my snappers. My grandad used to clean and eat them. They are ferocious.

Great pics, thanks for posting it.

DM

muleskinner

Aug 8, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
minelab, tesoro
I have a river running through my property. I'll have some snappers visiting in a month or so. I'm kinda hard on them when I catch them, because they are kinda hard on my ducks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions