Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today we have severe flooding, the back bays are meeting the bay high tide at 2pm will have the roads covered, massive trees down, winds 75 mph here.. its 1pm now and this is what the water looks like on the back bay side, also parts of the parkway are shut down due to fallen trees.. theres no way I can venture to the ocean as the winds would blow me away.. this is one of the worst nor eastern storms we have had in a long while...also, the pontoon boat in the picture with the dock still attached to it, is moored on flooded land, the boat n dock broke free, they are telling us 2pm high tide the road will be covered with water from the back bays meeting the bay. I unfortunately had to go to the bank, and was amazed at what I saw, I can only imagine how bad it is in ocean city, nj. and they just started beach replenishment there, so I would guess that the new sand is already gone, problem is the high tide that came in yesterday didnt get a chance to go out due to the winds, so now with the waters this high and high tide due in at 2 will flood lots of roads... and on ocean city, I am sure as they always do, with the new car dealers, they move all their new cars inland so as not to get flooded as thats what usually happens with a bad nor eastern storm.. we are expected to have severe weather for several days here.. maybe if it changes by wed, I may be able to hit the beach.
heres some photos..The picture of the house is the house next door to me..and I am watching one tree in my back yard to blow down, I just hope it breaks n goes the other way, otherwise it will hit the house..

Attachments

• boatdock.JPG
    boatdock.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 323
  • boattwo.JPG
    boattwo.JPG
    105.2 KB · Views: 323
  • road.JPG
    road.JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 320
  • nextdoor.JPG
    nextdoor.JPG
    105.6 KB · Views: 324

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ah yes, our first bigger storm in quite awhile, just heard 78mph wind gust in Cape May County happened this morning, that is bit of a breeze. My yard looks like it did after the last hurricane brushed this area two years ago. I will be spending a few hours tomorrow with branch and debris pickup on my halfacre.
Now, if I was as close to the beach as you I would be out there tomorrow when the tide is anything but high, but even that might be ok, I am sure we have had a good amount of beach erosion.
I don't hunt the beach too often but I remember back in late 90's I think we had severe beach erosion and the silver coins from the turn of the century to the 50's were more common to find than clad. Best hunting for modern silver I ever had, so make an effort to hit the beach tomorrow, along with dozens of others I am sure......

I usually hunted Ventnor Beach area just north of the fishing pier.

Don

OP
OP
bootybay

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don..as of right now..the 9th street bridge is closed until further notice..the only way right now is the longport bridge to get off the island.. My daughters scared right now, shes on the bridge and said the waves are like 10 ft high if not higher banging into the longport bridge.. I told her, get off the phone..call me when you get home safely.. since its illegal to drive and use a cell phone. These waters banging into the bridge are bay waters so its gotta be seriously bad at the ocean if its like this at the bay.. so now I sit here waiting to hear shes is home safe..

soon as I can I am hitting the beach, but not sure how my xt70 will do on it... and its not waterproof.. I can wrap it real good but still I do not need to fall in or anything...

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember most of the silver after that great Halloween storm were in the wet sand about half way between normal high and low tide, back then, if you saw very dark black layered/banded sand, that was the same as finding the coins, that is the layer they were trapped in all those years. I never got near the water, I also believe that was the year tons of clam shells, and starfish were piled up on the beach, brought up from the depths of the ocean, since the storm was so violent, so it was a rather smelly affair also. ;D

Don

OP
OP
bootybay

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don,
I was there on the beach when all the clams washed up.... that was something I will never forget, thats all you saw was clams..no beach or sand at all.. it definetely was on the stinky side..

by the way, my daughter just got home safely, she was told they are shutting the longport bridge down at 6 pm tonite..

and I will be looking for the black banded sand areas.... oh here we go again rite now..high winds here...gotta check the backyard... thank you too Don..

booty

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
rtde3 said:
I feel your pain! It hit here in MD last night! I lost 3 trees & parts of my fence! I just posted some pics if you want to see. Hang in there!

didnt you just lose a big tree last year rob?

OP
OP
bootybay

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have no clue where coin beach is...now that I have a good car ( used but new to me) a 05 chevy trailblazer that had only 41,000 miles on it...( has hitch too, umm for my camper to haul, when I get one that is) and this baby looks brand spanking new..so when I can and when I can find out how to get there I will go hit it up... what the heck rite?? some sent me directions but as per the puter gremlins, it got deleted by accident)

also update, as of 6 pm tonite they shut down the longport bridge...also declared a state of emergency in atlantic city, no ones allowed in..but you can leave if you can get out..

weather permitting tomorrow, I am hitting the beaches early... wish me dumb luck...cause I have yet to find anything of any value on the beaches yet...

Copperhead

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2007
The Constituition State
Detector(s) used
Ace250
Dang...looks like you all did get hit pretty good....the storm just grazed the coast here...some high wind gusts and a couple of sprinkles...stay safe....get out as early as you can tommorow...we had a hurricane back in the 80's that wiped the beach clean out...I was the second one there...got a whole lot of silver...the first guy there got a whole sack....good luck..

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stay safe til its over then get to the beach, I will be lookin forward to see pics of your finds!

OP
OP
bootybay

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The weather can change in a blink of an eye here, so far for tomorrow, its 25-30mph winds.. so I am gonna chance going to the beaches, long as I can get on the island.. however later tonite, I just found out two streets over, a friend of mine, a large tree fell into her home.. I heard no one was hurt..but I am going to stop by to see if I can help and find out how badly this is... stuff like this doesnt usually happen this far inland.. its just been weird here... so I will see what happens with the weather n if I can get on the island as well...gonna check with petra and make sure her and her family is aok... off to bed here...

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Prayers on the way to your friend! Keep us posted!

The weather is weird here too! We have tornados this state is use to them but, its been years since whole town gone the get sream is moving back south again, so things in this area could get worse!

OP
OP
bootybay

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok, no one was hurt in the house, it was a big tree, minor damage to the roof ( lucky on that one) but it tore off the all the gutters in the front... I am dumbfounded it has done damage to her roof..but also glad for her sake... went to the beach today ( smacking self in the head) FORGOT after a storm like that one, should wait 2-3 days for tides to get back to normal..as I went today at supposed low tide, it was still high tide... oh heck live n learn rite...

bill gent

Sep 22, 2006
jersey city new jersey
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
gee we got the rain but not that bad the police bycycle tour to wash dc from my city got cancelled and they were trucked in. Most the guys n girls about 1/2 the riders from all over the state went down n were hurt so they loaded em all on the vans and bikes in the trucks n trailers the tour ends normally with a bike ride into the police memorial during police week that honors all the police oficers killed in the line of duty. The tour usually starts from ground zero in NYC (ground zero is where the world trade center was) this year it was our turn to host it as we are right across the river. as it stands now because of all the bike riders injured we are down a great deal of officers

mercenary

Oct 4, 2006
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 2200
It was quite a scary storm... Rt. 30 at Atlantic City seems to flood out every time it rains during low tide; during a large storm, forget about it. I'm glad everyone's safe, I may try to get out to Margate tomorrow :D

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Storm Aftermath - Beach Erosion

I took this photo of our Atlantic City Press newspaper's front page photograph and rather graphic about how the "dunes" created by the Army Corp of Engineers might protect the boardwalk and business from the wicked storm we had this week, however, sure is expensive to see one storm wipe almost all of it out in some areas. Our tax dollars at work. :(

Don

Attachments

• Beach Erosion.jpg
    Beach Erosion.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 174

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The beach looks devestated! Good for MDers but all else bad for I dont live or ever been to an area like that is there something that can be done to not have it washed away as bad?

OP
OP
bootybay

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ya the heck with waiting for hubby to take me to a.c. beaches..will go alone if its my time to go then nothing I can do bout it..... tired of waiting anyways.....lol

Ray S S

Silver Member
Nov 18, 2007
Port Huron, Mi.
Detector(s) used
Freedom Ace Coin Commander and Ace 250
Bootybay That sure must have been a terrible storm. Its good that you and yours made it through it safely. Lots of luck on your beech hunting. Maybe now you can find your pot-o-gold and get something good out of that bad weather. Will look foreward to seeing some of your finds. karenray08

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread