Weird bug and friends

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Despite being sprayed for Gypsy Moth Caterpillars by the state this past week, the caterpillar population is trying to converge on my house! Spent a lot time squishing the ones crawling up the house, the ones in the trees, do seem to be dying from the BT spray, but it sure is not as effective (nor deadly to other insects) as Sevin was when they used to spray that instead.

Well, in one small area on the foundation, there was a beetle, a small gypsymoth caterpillar and a white I DON"T KNOW WHAT IT IS insect. I got all three in closeups, and you sure can see why most birds avoid the gypsymoths, they sure are hairy and the beetle, no idea what it is, but I do know there are beetles called Caterpillar Beetles that do feast on Gypsymoth caterpillars so perhaps it is one of them.

The white guy with funky antennae and small wings - any guesses? I sure do not know.. :)

Don

Attachments

• beetle.jpg
    beetle.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 403
  • hairygypsymothcaterpillar.jpg
    hairygypsymothcaterpillar.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 400
  • whitewonder.jpg
    whitewonder.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 399

mlw67

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Cool bugs!

I'm guessing that white one is some sort of bug in its pupal stage, in between being a larvae and an adult.

Check out whatsthatbug.com and I'll bet you can figure it out.

Rattler0216

May 30, 2008
The White insect is actually an adult molting its skin, all locust and some other insects like crickets do this. Their skin is soft and vulnerable until its been exposed to the air for awhile. Don't know what kind of insect it is, but it wouldn't be white within a few hours after the photo was taken.

wesfrye53

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
Springfield, TN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202
Don,

Maybe you can borrow "Cruisin's" resident garter snake for a while and get rid of some of them critters! ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread