Attachments

• turkey copy.JPG
    turkey copy.JPG
    83.9 KB · Views: 321

PJ in WI

Mar 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
EXPLORER SE and an ACE 250
Yes it looks like a hen. If it were a male you should see a 1-2 inch beard at the very least since it would be at least 9 months old. The only way it would not have a beard by now is if it lost its beard somehow. PJ

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you seen any others around at all ? or do you know if maybe a neighbor has some? Turkeys will be fun to watch! :icon_sunny:

OP
OP
C

Cruisin

Jul 23, 2007
There are usually some turkeys across the road in the cow pasture. My neighbor saw some recently in back of his house, too. For some reason they just never come onto my place, which is 5 wooded acres. This year I keep seeing this one. I would love it if she hatches out a bunch of chicks!

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
Get some cracked corn and place it were you see her going in and out of the woods. If she has some young , they will be there every day when they find it.I was riding my 4 wheeler on the farm this past weekend and got attacked by a hen with here babies.She chased me off for a hundred yards or so before she went back to the little ones.

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WB thank-you for reposting your link I remembered the pics I just could not remember from who and how long ago it was a treat to see them again!

Scatter the food is a good idea you will get to see the babies better while they eat When she has some!

OP
OP
C

Cruisin

Jul 23, 2007
I love those photos that Willieboyd2 posted!!!!!

Ms. Turkey is here every day now. We see her at least twice an day. I'm just waiting to see a trail of baby turkeys behind her soon. Keeping my fingers crossed......

This morning when I was standing at the kitchen sink looking out the window I saw Ms. Turkey, a rabbit, 2 baby tree squirels, a flock of baby quail, and our family of 5 baby crows & their parents. It's been a really good year for the bird families in the yard this year! We also have the usual families of woodpeckers, jays, & various small birds.

One funny thing happened - the rabbit hopped on over & headed for the fake lawn we have out front. It looks & feels like real grass. I wonder what he thought! He just sat there looking at it for a long time.

DanB

Oct 23, 2007
Yes!! thats a hen, I think it would look better next to stuffing gravy and potatoes.

db

Rattler0216

May 30, 2008
For sure a hen, I went out to Julian this last weekend and saw atleast 30 or so turkeys. It was awesome, tried to get close to one of the Toms and he took off flying. Pretty amazing how high they can actually get.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions