I dont think he was happy to see me....

Mobes

Oct 4, 2007
Westmont IL
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV
Re: I don't think he was happy to see me....

That is a brown water snake ( NOT VENOMOUS )

Yes the cottonmouth and water mocassin is the same snake.
A copperhead is a totally different snake.

Just remember the snakes were here before we were and they have more right to this land than we do. They are harmless for the most part unless provoked or scared. Also they can only bite you if you are within a foot or so of them. You are more of a threat to the snake than he is to you. If you do not like snakes walk away as this guy did, they are part of nature and they didn't ask us to be a part of it. They should not be killed just because you don't like them, just like people.

Here is a pic of a copperhead, then a cotton mouth/water mocassin, and then the brown water snake.

Attachments

• copperhead.JPG
    copperhead.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 300
  • cottonmouth.JPG
    cottonmouth.JPG
    34.4 KB · Views: 300
  • brown water.JPG
    brown water.JPG
    24.5 KB · Views: 285

rwsnc

Jun 30, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Xterra 70, Compass Relic Magnum 7a, Compass Coin Magnum, Garrett AT Pro (Sold)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Mobes said:
That is a brown water snake ( NOT VENOMOUS )

Yes the cottonmouth and water mocassin is the same snake.
A copperhead is a totally different snake.

Just remember the snakes were here before we were and they have more right to this land than we do. They are harmless for the most part unless provoked or scared. Also they can only bite you if you are within a foot or so of them. You are more of a threat to the snake than he is to you. If you do not like snakes walk away as this guy did, they are part of nature and they didn't ask us to be a part of it. They should not be killed just because you don't like them, just like people.

Here is a pic of a copperhead, then a cotton mouth/water mocassin, and then the brown water snake.

I agree...

Gilligan

Bronze Member
Sep 23, 2007
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, Deteknix Scuba Tector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Old Dog said:
Nice water moccasin Debb,

Beautiful picture
Thom

It is a beautiful watersnake and great picture, but not a moccasin. I bet it is a Northern, Banded or Brown Watersnake. Here is a good link: http://www.bio.davidson.edu/projects/herpcons/herps_of_NC/snakes/snakes.html

I have come to respect snakes as I have seen several interesting ones in the wilds of North Carolina. There are only 6 in NC that are venomous. Many look venomous, but are not, like the watersnakes. The venomous snakes all have slit eyes, granted you may not want to get close enough to see if they are round or not. The only watersnake that is venomous in NC is the Moccosin, aka Cottonmouth. Great pic, Bryan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread