Twinkies and Bread

Excavator

Oct 18, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
When you hang around the ski lodges in summer, there's not a lot to do. You can soak in the hot tub, ride the ski lifts, take hikes to enjoy the wildlife and scenery, or you can feed the wildlife that live under the hot tub and back deck. This guy ate all our Twinkies and started on a loaf of bread:

EDIT- Sorry folks, I'm only on my second cup of coffee... What's the pic size limit? ??? I haven't found it yet. I'll re-size or take this down if I need to.

Attachments

• Deerfed6.jpg
    Deerfed6.jpg
    241.1 KB · Views: 546
OP
OP
Excavator

Excavator

Oct 18, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
No he wasn't, and I was a little worried about my fingers. There are more shots of him coming out from under the deck at feeding time, but since they're so large....

He didn't budge when we were cavorting in the tub, I'd guess he got a little wet.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
They are pretty.

OP
OP
Excavator

Excavator

Oct 18, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
When you get that close, you can see the blood in the velvet on the antlers.

Poor guy, the flies were trying to eat him alive. You can see them in the pic.

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Hey Ex,

I use a shareware program called Picture Resize to shrink pics for posting.

Sometimes I use the software package that came with my HP printer to crop pics.

There's lots of little graphics programs out there...

Best

OP
OP
Excavator

Excavator

Oct 18, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Thanks rmptr. Do you happen to know the size limit here? I'm too dumb to find it I guess. Didn't have to worry about my digital cam, but the film on disc comes out larger.

Edit- I found the size limit, right under my nose in fine print. 512kb is the limit, duhrrr. :P

Here's another of him coming from his hideout:

Attachments

• Deerfed1.jpg
    Deerfed1.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 478
OP
OP
Excavator

Excavator

Oct 18, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Bridge End Farm said:
that buck live under those stairs?

Yes, he was camped out under there the whole time we were at the cabin. He was under there at night and never moved when we used the hot tub. It was about 10am when I fed him in these pics. We gave him a box of Corn Pops cereal when we left.

I know it's not good in a lot of cases to tame these animals, but in this case, the deer was already tame. I'm guilty by association I guess.

Somewhere in my archives, I have a pic of a deer putting it's head into our car to get an apple out of my hand. Guilty again.

FCCDFEd

Sep 29, 2007
Terra Bella, Ca.
Detector(s) used
DFX, IDXPro, MXT, Lobo St., At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's up, ya trying to fatten him up for the winter?

fccdfed

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He is beautiful ! And he looks like a very spoiled critter! I have never had the opertunity to gooton that close tom one! (alive) ;D

Bet that was alot of fun!

OP
OP
Excavator

Excavator

Oct 18, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
FCCDFEd said:
What's up, ya trying to fatten him up for the winter?

fccdfed

Sure, you can see his ribs in the first pic. :wink:

mental granny said:
He is beautiful ! And he looks like a very spoiled critter! I have never had the opertunity to gooton that close tom one! (alive) ;D

Bet that was alot of fun!

Yes it is fun, but I've had them almost step on me. Took a nap in the woods one time, woke up to find myself surrounded by deer! Had a little button buck come trotting up to me, just like a puppy dog. ;D

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool ! Several years ago Jeff was out hunting and sitting and the base of a tree when he felt like someone was watching him, It / she was almost had her nose on his shoulder! I would have loved to seen that ;D

OP
OP
Excavator

Excavator

Oct 18, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
mental granny said:
Very cool ! Several years ago Jeff was out hunting and sitting and the base of a tree when he felt like someone was watching him, It / she was almost had her nose on his shoulder! I would have loved to seen that ;D

That would have been another great video. :D

Tell Jeff, when the hunting seems slow, just take a short nap (not advisable in freezing weather). But when he wakes up, he shouldn't make any sudden moves, or move at all until he listens for a bit. :wink: .

One time I was sitting with my feet against a tree and my back against a rock, six feet off the ground. I was eating a Snicker's bar and four doe were walking under me sniffing for the Snicker's. :D

I've got a video of a deer, wearing a bell, and a Rottweiler, walking side by side, wading across a river and heading on down the road. Someday I'll pull some still pics from it. Maybe I should send it to Animal Planet?

Magic Fingers said:
How fun was that!
Makes you wonder what caused him to be so tame and live under the decking.

It's great, I love getting in close!

The cabin is directly beside the Timberline Ski Resort in Canaan Valley, WV. I'd say almost everyone staying or living in one of the houses has been feeding them. A lot of our state parks are like that too, despite signs that prohibit feeding wildlife. I'm still looking for the pic of the deer in my car, eating an apple.

Why he chose the deck.. I guess he figured out the hot tub would keep the rain off him. And it was nice and shady in the sunlight.

As many deer as I dodge or hit on the highway, I'd hate to hit one while careening downhill on skis or an innertube.

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cant wait for you to post more pics!

Another deer story this one is his brother (So bro if you read this one sorry) He was out hunting deer scent spilled in his pocket, and he got chased up the tree! ;D I told him to use it the way Jeff did and please be careful I did not want story about him in the paper "Hunter Killed By H*%@^$ Deer!"

OP
OP
Excavator

Excavator

Oct 18, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Tell your hunters, in addition to the bottled pee... Cut up an apple and put some pieces in any empty pockets. But the hunter should expect to be eaten and be on defense. :D

E59

Feb 28, 2005
On the river bank
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've never seen a deer that age so tame. Many people around here catch fawns when their mothers have been killed by cars or if they are injured when the men are mowing hay. Maybe this one was raised by people.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread