the old "Stonehouse"

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the old "Stonehouse"

This old, abandoned house is in the middle of a 5,500 acre ranch. There are no other buildings on the ranch except some foundations left from ranch hand cabins and a ol' corral area. There is a fig orchard of about 50 trees but they haven't been trimmed for years and years. The coyotes and wild pigs eat all the figs that drop to the ground. My son and I picked a bunch for some homemade fig jam. Tastes great! I've detected the house area a little but, so far, all I've found is a bunch of bullet casings and other junk. The thought of a "cache" is always in the back of my mind when I go here. I'd like to salvage some of the cedar wood from the inside. A lot of it is in perfect condition, especially the tounge-and-groove ceiling. There is a little courtyard area with what was a small fish pond and fountain. We call it the "Stonehouse" as a lot of the building consists of softball-sized stones that were likely gathered right on the ranch.

Attachments

• house5.jpg
    house5.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 506
  • house4.jpg
    house4.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 499
  • house2.jpg
    house2.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 489
  • house3.jpg
    house3.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 499

CarolinaDigs

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
North Carolina
Re: the old "Stonehouse"

I love it !! Is it for sale ?? It should be restored . Love the photos > fig preserves are my favorite > if Wes post a pic of some he has made I am heading for Tennessee :wink:

E59

Feb 28, 2005
On the river bank
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Man, I wish that was on my property! I would spend my life savings to renovate something with that much potential. Do you own it? Don't let it go to shambles!!!

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

omg I love the place as well. You pictures are beautiful, will you take more to show us please.. I adore the stone work and the fireplace.. what a neat looking haven... I too am dying to know if its for sale or just rotting away.. What a awesome site and awesome possibilities that place has..

Thank you for sharing big time.

booty

Ray S S

Silver Member
Nov 18, 2007
Port Huron, Mi.
Detector(s) used
Freedom Ace Coin Commander and Ace 250

After all those years of just setting and still looking like that. I'd like to have seen it when It was new. It must have been a beautiful place. Keep hunting for that cache; there just might be one somewhere around there. Just on a tip
did you check out that old fireplace? There might be a loose stone somewhere with a hidden compartment behind. And with
that kind of building, maybe a loose block in the foundation inside or outside. That would be a lot of fun exploring
around that place. Loads of luck
Wishing you some great finds,

Ray karenray08

OP
OP
packerbacker

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Here are a few more pics of the place. It is a 2-story house. The floor in the living room was concrete and has collapsed. The stairs going down to the first floor are very unsafe. It has a metal roof that is still intact so I'm sure that has preserved the rest of the house much better than a shake roof would have. It was for sale about 10 years ago but there were no takers and it has since been pulled off the market. You would have had to buy the entire ranch of 5,500 acres. It was going for 6 million $. It would be worth a lot more now but it isn't for sale anymore. Now it's just used for camping and hunting. Certain times of the year the ground is leased to a cattle rancher to graze cattle.

Attachments

• house1.jpg
    house1.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 369
  • house6.jpg
    house6.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 363
  • house7.jpg
    house7.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 370

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250

What an incredible place!! Thanks for posting all the pics for us. Makes ya wish you could just once have enough money to test that "money doesn't buy happiness" theory doesn't it! I am quite certain I could be pretty content and happy livin on 5,500 acres with cool places like that to explore without ever leavin home! :wink:

wesfrye53

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
Springfield, TN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202

CarolinaDigs said:
I love it !! Is it for sale ?? It should be restored . Love the photos > fig preserves are my favorite > if Wes post a pic of some he has made I am heading for Tennessee :wink:

Sorry Margie...no figs in my back yard.

That's a great lookin cabin/house Packer!

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I had to go back and look at the possibilities of that place again. WOW.
Burdie

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6

Some one sure put a lot of work into that place. Kind of a shame that it is sitting there abandoned. Probably lots of happy memories attached to that place.

Nice pics.

Ray S

limitedthoughts

Mar 8, 2008
vale, oregon
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Quick Silver

It happens. When you look at the history of things and see what happened things make more sense.

There was a beautiful home here where im at that was built in 1900 and has been well well perserved. Now. the new owners took it over and in less then 2 years the place is looking like a total wreck and falling appart. Its not the house. It should last another 200 years with basic upkeep.

LT.

Hemisteve

Feb 21, 2008
N. Nevada
Detector(s) used
Goldmaster V/Sat and MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You know, those rocks look like cobbles from an old tertiary stream bed. Have you thought that there might be an old stream bed nearby to nugget shoot in?

Just a thought
Steve

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

What area of CA are you in? I just came back from Murphys, NE of Sonora. Found a two room foundation near where Clemens (Mark Twain) had his cabin. Just overgrown stone. I'll be over that way again in Dec. Wanna hook up then? TTC

OP
OP
packerbacker

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks all for looking. Yes Hemi, there is a creekbed maybe 200 yards from the house with the house being on slightly higher ground. We have thought about panning or sluicing there but never have. It's slightly possible there could be some fine gold there but finding nuggets of a detectable size is doubtful. This property is in the Red Bluff, CA area and just not known for producing gold nuggets. Just North of us, only a few miles out of Redding, CA, there are some gold fields that have quite a few detectable nuggets in them. A friend of mine found the largest so far. Weighed in at just over 14 troy ounces and was GOLD, not just a big piece of quartz with a little gold attached to it. Most of the nuggets that come out of there are found in the tailing piles but the big nugget came out of a slight slope on the side of a hill. My friends find all the gold out there and I find the bullets. :-\
Terry, Sonora is nearly 250 miles Southeast of Red Bluff but, if you will be coming up around this neck of the woods, we could possibly hookup. In December, with the chances of heavy rains, the ranch can be difficult to traverse. We hunt pig and ducks out there in the Winter but it's usually a 4-wheel drive trip and, if the rains are heavy enough, you can't get around at all. Just have to wait and see what we're dealt.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

packerbacker said:
Thanks all for looking. Yes Hemi, there is a creekbed maybe 200 yards from the house with the house being on slightly higher ground. We have thought about panning or sluicing there but never have. It's slightly possible there could be some fine gold there but finding nuggets of a detectable size is doubtful. This property is in the Red Bluff, CA area and just not known for producing gold nuggets. Just North of us, only a few miles out of Redding, CA, there are some gold fields that have quite a few detectable nuggets in them. A friend of mine found the largest so far. Weighed in at just over 14 troy ounces and was GOLD, not just a big piece of quartz with a little gold attached to it. Most of the nuggets that come out of there are found in the tailing piles but the big nugget came out of a slight slope on the side of a hill. My friends find all the gold out there and I find the bullets. :-\
Terry, Sonora is nearly 250 miles Southeast of Red Bluff but, if you will be coming up around this neck of the woods, we could possibly hookup. In December, with the chances of heavy rains, the ranch can be difficult to traverse. We hunt pig and ducks out there in the Winter but it's usually a 4-wheel drive trip and, if the rains are heavy enough, you can't get around at all. Just have to wait and see what we're dealt.
Thanks for the reply PB,
In Dec I'll get back to you. TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread