Eggalanche!!

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My son and I got some day-old chicks a while back. Some are Araucanas (they lay green and bluish colored eggs) and some are Rhode Island Reds that lay the big, brown eggs. Tuesday we got 5 eggs, Wednesday we got 7 more and yesterday, Thursday, we got 9 more! We have 16 hens so, pretty soon, we will be getting over a dozen eggs per day. We will probably start selling them just to help pay for their feed. It doesn't cost that much but why should we just give the eggs away?. They will be cheap eggs compared to store prices and they are very fresh! They come from great looking chickens kept in a clean, large coup with a big outside run for them. The eggs are still a little small (pullet eggs) compared to the store-bought egg in the top of the carton but they will soon be large!

Attachments

• eggs.jpg
    eggs.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 686

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool!!!!!!!!!!!

If I lived near you - I'd be a regular customer (not allowed any livestock here).

No - don't give them away - around Easter time - you can get a premium on the colored eggs.

B

OP
OP
packerbacker

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No livestock??!!...I think that even in most cities you can have a couple chickens as long as they aren't roosters. We have these 4 calves that will be ready by late Spring of '09. Nothing beats home-grown beef. They are fed nothing but the best!

Attachments

• bush&beef.jpg
    bush&beef.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 657

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When we bought it in 1998, you could have livestock - in fact, there were heifers being run on it.

Somewhere, the "old biddies" of the town (the ones that still sip tea with their pinkies raised, and talk about everyone), managed to get everything out of town - the last to go was the chickens and pet rabbits.

Of course, the neighbor has an 8 foot snake, but its not livestock ???

Now the biddies sit around and complain you cannot get a fresh egg or fresh milk for love nor money - hmmmmmmmmm - I wonder why?

B

jimb

Feb 22, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice eggs! You are really lucky to have chickens that give you eggs! 30 years ago a farmer down the road use to sell pullet's for 35 cents a doz.

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
I like chickens!

Especially free range.

LoL! One of the funniest things in the world is to watch a hen chase a grasshopper!

rmptr

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
My grandma recently got rid of her chickens when she decided to travel all summer in the motorhome so I don't get fresh eggs anymore. I wanna live by you! lol

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My parents used to have chickens. You can't beat the eggs! ;D The yolks are so much better than store bought.

They come from great looking chickens kept in a clean, large coup with a big outside run for them.

Are they as great looking as this chicken? :P

Attachments

• sexy chicken.jpg
    sexy chicken.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 537

wesfrye53

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
Springfield, TN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202
Thanks for posting the eggs packer....that's interesting to see the various colors.

growing up we had chickens; don't remember much about the eggs but sure do remember the tree stump with two nails spaced about 2 inches apart and a bloody rusted ax!

OP
OP
packerbacker

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mona, is that you all dressed up? Lookin' good mama!!
Yeah wes, when these girls quit laying, they will start frying. ;D

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
We used to have Auracanas and RI Reds.
I told a fellow at work we had eggs for sale, brought in a dozen.
A Chinese fellow came over and asked "Why eggs green"?
I told him they were not ripe yet.
He gave me my Chinese nickname : Sumdumguy
Grey

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
I like RI Red hens best, I think...

The hippy chickens are sure funny lookin, though...

We had one Australorp rooster that was one mean hombre.
Too many kids around... had to dispatch him.

Ended up with a Silky rooster to keep the hens in line. Cute little guy. We called him Socks.
His framed pitcher is on the wall around here somewheres. Next to Ma & Pa Kettle.

Coons got him, too. Lost 13 hens and 1 rooster in about 10 nights time to coons. I don't like them much.

rmptr

Scott (Mich)

Mar 23, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chickens are fun to raise, aren’t they?

When the days get shorter your egg production will drop. There is a way around this that I learned from someone years ago. Get yourself a day timer and hang a light in the middle of the coop and have the timer set so it comes on between two and three am and stays on until sun up. This will trick the chickens into thinking the days are longer and they will lay good through the winter.

These are my Isabrown pullets, with my little pet Japanese Bantum (Banty as we call them). The pullets are five months old and are just starting to lay.
Isabrowns.JPG

The next picture is another rooster we call Red. One day I came home from work and there he was. Someone had dropped him off like some people drop off stray cats. He has a few girlfriends(hens) that hang around him but I think he prefers human company.
Old Red.JPG

This next picture is one of the Araucanas sun bathing with her rooster friend on the right.
Sunning.JPG

The next picture is a couple of my banty hens taking a dirt bath. A chicken can dig a good sized hole after a while. Years ago an old timer told me to put my wood ashes in a metal tub inside the chicken pen so they can take a bath in the winter time. Ever since I have let them bathe in ashes I have never had any more lice on them. I believe the ash lye kills the lice and fleas.
Dirt Bath.JPG

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Good looking young girls there Scott! ;D

and I like Red best...

LoL! Dirtbath is awful funny to watch, isn't it!

Best
rmptr

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Also remember to put old crushed eggshells in for them to scratch up and eat, the calcium is good for them and it does not make them eat their own eggs. If you have leftover steak or pork bones they LOVE them. Eat all the meat off them.
Most all garden leftovers are good too. I put foam in the cracks of my hen house to insulate it for the winter and they ate it!
Almost killed the cat when she accidentally got out but they would follow me anywhere - kinda scary. LOL
Good advice about the light timing, thank you.
.Grey

OP
OP
packerbacker

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's some of our girls. We have a total of 17 that have just started laying. Got 15 eggs from them the other day. That's their new record. We have gotten 5 double-yolkers so far and I read somewhere that the odds of getting one are 1 in 500,000. I think we just have 1 chicken with a problem. :D We have just been giving the eggs away but we are going to start selling them for about 2 bucks a dozen to help pay for the feed. Good deal for all.

Attachments

• chickens.jpg
    chickens.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 244

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread