Is anybody else sick and tired of this garbage winter yet?

dogcaught

Mar 2, 2008
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II sunray x-1 probe
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Vanquish 540

NebHunter

Jan 7, 2007
I have been researching places to go metal detecting. Lots of "Ghost Towns" in Nebraska. Unfortunately, they all get plowed under to plant corn. Oh well, if you get out early enough or late enough in the season, I found farmers do not mind if you hunting them. Make sure you ask permission, they usually say something like "that's OK, but there is nothing in that field but dirt". Do not be discouraged, I have found some things, in that "nothing but dirt".

D

OP
OP
dogcaught

dogcaught

Mar 2, 2008
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Vanquish 540
I have been doing allot of research as well. The list of new spots to hit is much longer than it was 2 months ago. Thinking about doing some hunting in the snow tomorrow just to scratch the itch. Next week the warm up starts and looking at 50°F by March 8th! :hello2: JJ

OP
OP
dogcaught

dogcaught

Mar 2, 2008
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Vanquish 540
That did the trick.

What a ridiculous hunt. I needed to get out just because I wanted to get at least one hunt in Feb. I had no intentions of finding anything deep or old. I was on a mission to return home with one unearthed coin. I got two! lol. The first place i went, I couldn't find a place to swing a coil that didn't have at least 10" of snow frozen over it. So I left and stopped by another spot before I admitted defeat. This spot had a parking are that had been cleared by a plow and a beat up old walking track, also plowed. I was only after near-surface finds. I have never worked so hard for a few clad cents but it was GREAT to be out. Only found 2 cents, a 2008 dog tag and a whatsit. I severely wounded all targets trying to chip them out of the frozen ground. What a sickly fun hunt! It should really be warming up in the next few weeks. JJ

DSCF0403.jpg

DSCF0402.jpg

DSCF0401.jpg

DSCF0405.jpg

packfan_1982

Jun 22, 2008
Omaha NE
Detector(s) used
F70 / ACE 250
I'm headed to San Diego next week for some R&R, hopefully upon my return all of this snow will be melted.

Josh, I just bought a new detector so whenever you happen to make it out look me up. Though if you are planning any snow hunts then you can count me out. If you want to do some more prospecting this year I think we will have to do it before the spring rain, we should be instore for some good flooding. Will be fun to track down the gold though.

OP
OP
dogcaught

dogcaught

Mar 2, 2008
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Vanquish 540
Ohhh, San Diego sounds NICE! I hope you bring some of that warmer weather back with ya. There is something very therapeutic about ice fishing for coins, you may enjoy it. What kind of detector did you get? (The F70 listed under your avatar? Can't remember if you had that before.) Did you get the house sold yet? And how did the fines from our last outing pan out? OK, no more questions. :laughing7: I'm always game for more prospecting. I wouldn't mind MD'ing that football field in town nearby there either. Also lining up a few hot spots around your neck of the woods to give your new machine a go. Will PM you about those later. Hope your little one is doing well also.

packfan_1982

Jun 22, 2008
Omaha NE
Detector(s) used
F70 / ACE 250
There were about 30-40 little colors. Took it to colorado over thanksgiving and left it there. Oh well there is still more where those came from. Yeah got a F70 used for a good deal. I will be back around the 14th of march and hopefully it will have warmed up enough to go dig in the mud. This is actually kind of a nice time to do some prospecting, well a little warmer. But as long as you stay out of the water all of the ice just gives you more room to walk around.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread