Meteorites

casper

Nov 3, 2007
Have you ever found any meteorites?I am in Florida,but go to Nevada 3 or4 times a year. [ Reno] I don't know what to look for.Help me please. Thanks,Bob

Hemisteve

Feb 21, 2008
N. Nevada
Detector(s) used
Goldmaster V/Sat and MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Blackfish,
to the best of my knowledge, there are no restrictions on gathering meteorites although it would be best to stay off of any NCA just in case.

Casper,
I live near Reno and have never heard of any nearby.That does'nt mean they are not there. Most meteorite hunters seem to be in So. Nevada, AZ, and So. Ca. I've learned recently about a possible ancient crater in the Black Rock Desert. We camp up there twice a year and next time i will be searching for them. Next time you are in Reno stop by the "Stone Age Quarry" rockshop. Costco Shopping center, 2 Blocks west of the airport on Plumb Lane or Reno Prospecting Supply off of Wells Ave. They might be able to give some hunting advice.

Good Luck
Steve

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Dowsing Rods and a Ranger Tell Examiner
Hey Steve….Prospector & Treasure Hunters shop in Gardnerville have 8 or 10 Meteorites and some of them have been found in that area….Art

zander1013

Tenderfoot
Jun 30, 2008
hi,

i found a meteorite at mt. potosi in may of 2007 below the mines. i just happened to look down and saw this 'rock' when i got into my car. i said to myself hm... looks like a meteorite it is slightly rust colord on a dark gray surface with tiny thumbprints and the surface is otherwise a smooth rounded surface with no sharp points or edges. there is allot of fine sand in this area and it does not have the 'shrapnel' look that shrapnel meteorites have so i guess that it is just as it fell out of the sky. it is about the size of a dime and it is magnetic. it is detected by my garrett gti 2500 in all-metal mode. but just barely. it registers a .5 in conductivity. it seems that most of the meteorites that are in my collection also register a low conductivity when scaned by my detector. shikot-alen meteorite reads as 1 interms of conductance. i also have a morrocan metoerite that reads 3 in conductivity. this level of conductance indicates iron. conductance is measured in the unit seimens after the german electrical engineer and his company. i don't know how seimens relates to my garrett's readout but the scale on the detector runs from .5 to 12 so meteorites have a very low conductance.

so set your metal detector to all-metal mode and look for faint signals. also take a strong magnet with you to test the target.

i was VERY lucky to find this thing. i don't usualy look for meteorites when i go detectoring. usually when i go out on an expedition i pick up 'rocks' that catch my attention for what ever reason.

also if you just drag a strong magnet around the debris that it picks up is generaly considered meteoric. i have a mechanics magnet on a telescopic handle that is to retrieve screws and stuff that a mechanic might drop into a motor or someother place difficult to reach. that device is the BEST to look for meteorites with and it cost less then $20 at an autoparts store.

i tried to post an image of my mt. potosi meteorite but the file was to big to post here.

oh yes,

and mt. potosi is near las vegas where i live in southern nevada.

if you send me your email i will send you images of my find at mt potosi.

peace,

-zander

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread